Chapter 31

Lydia swung her legs back and forth while she watched Xander scrummage around his apartment. Well, she felt the word apartment was too generous. It was a space in which Xander very, very few things. He didn't even have furniture. Just a bed and a small book shelf beside it.

She looked at the bare walls and let out a whistle. "Quite the cozy place you have here, love."

Xander chuckled while he stuffed some books into his duffle bag. "I hardly have to stay here when I'm on assignment."

"So I guess you're not too put out that the building had a new change in ownership, huh?" she hummed. She tilted her head. "Where are you going to stay when you're assignment with me is officially over?"

Xander stilled. Neither of them spoke about what would happen after. There was one more month in Lydia's ownership contract, thus, Xander's contract as well. She didn't know if she would see him much as most of his assignments needed him there around the clock. It was an especially uncertain topic because he refused to work for Kelly again once it was over, so, the likelihood of Lydia actually knowing his next assignment was slim to none.

Finally, Xander spoke. "I'm not too sure."

Lydia wanted to end the conversation, not wanting to be disappointed where it might end up, but they couldn't keep delaying it any longer. They had been in a relationship for three months, four once the contract was over, they couldn't keep avoiding the inevitable discussion. "Do you know your next assignment?"

Xander's shoulders deflated, his duffle bag dropping to the bed. "I don't have one. I decided to quit being a bodyguard, actually."

Lydia's eyes widened. She certainly hadn't expected that answer. "Why?"

"I thought it was what I wanted, protecting people but in all honesty, I hated it. Every single person I worked for treated me like a servant," his hazel eyes met my green ones. "You are the first person to see me, Lydia. I don't want to go back to being invisible."

Lydia hopped off the counter and grabbed Xander by the back of the neck, pulling him down so his lips could meet hers. She kissed him hard, which he reciprocated just as intensely. When she pulled back, her lips were sore. She glanced up at him. "Stay with me. Work with me when your contract is over. You'll probably get sick of me and you'll probably smash all of my eggs and annoy me when you rant about nuts in carrot cake but I don't care. It's crazy, I know it's crazy--"

Xander silenced her with a long kiss. He pulled away with a smirk. "It's not crazy, angel. To be honest, I was hoping I could figure out a way to convince you I'm worth keeping around."

A laugh bubbled up Lydia's throat. She shook her head in disbelief. "Are we really doing this? I mean, we've been together for three months."

"And we've been living together for those three months," Xander replied softly, his tone calming Lydia's nerves. She wasn't nervous at the prospect of him being officially moved in, but rather what others would think. She and Vince had been together for years and the thought of living with him made her cringe, never feeling completely ready for it. But here she was, three months into a relationship barely even hesitating at the thought. Snapping her out of her thoughts, Xander kissed her knuckles. "I meant what I said, angel, you're the one for me, there is no one else. I'm ready if you are."

Lydia didn't need to think twice. "I'm ready."

#

When they returned home, Xander set his duffle bag of his own collection of books by the front door. Lydia eyed the bag, jerking her head to the bookself in the living room. "You can put them over there, you know I'm not going to use it."

Xander licked his lips, his eyes mischievous. "I know, but I'd prefer to do something else."

Lydia knew what his wicked grin meant. She tossed her hair behind her shoulders. "Oh?"

Xander trained his eyes on Lydia as he took his steps toward her, while she backed into the counter. When he reached her, he gripped her thighs and lifted her onto the counter. Immediately, her hands went into his hair while his lips crashed onto hers.

She would never get used to this, she thought. His kisses, his touch. Everything about him consumed her.

She arched her neck back as he sucked on it, claiming her as his. It took everything in her to utter the word, "Bedroom."

Xander obliged, lifting up Lydia and carrying her to the bedroom, all the while still sucking on her neck.

He set her down on the bed, pushing her shirt up while he left a trail of kisses until he got to the waistband of her jeans. He looked up at her for confirmation, which Lydia nodded to. In a swift movement, Lydia no longer bore any bottoms, or a top for that matter as she threw it off when Xander stripped her of her jeans.

He was next, not wasting any time. When he was fully nude, he hovered above her once again. He kissed her gently on the lips. "I want to go slow."

Lydia looked up at him, her eyes wide.

Xander touched her bottom lip with his thumb, then he trailed his fingertips across her neck, down to her collarbone, to her chest, and finally settling at her core. He kissed her once more, moving down her jaw to her neck.

"I want to make love to you, angel. I want to show you how much you mean to me," he murmured against her skin.

His kisses traveled down her chest, her stomach, causing her skin to tingle at the faintness of his touch. Lydia didn't want foreplay, she just wanted him. She ran her hand through his hair. "Show me. Show me everything."