4

After a second of looking into my eyes, she shrunk in on herself

After a second of looking into my eyes, she shrunk in on herself. If I thought she wanted to disappear before, right now, she was 2 seconds away from disappearing. But her eyes still held my gaze, she was thinking about something, I could tell with the way her eyes were furrowed, like she was trying to place me with a memory. Even I tried to understand why her eyes reminded me of those that have been in my nightmares for 6 years now.

Though my expression remained neutral, as it always does. I couldn't help but clench my teeth. This girl -Kasie I assume- was latched onto my arm like a leach.

"Oh dear, aren't you a beauty. What's your name?" My mother's voice drew her eyes away from me. She looked around for a second, but before she could speak, her father spoke for her. I was told he has 3 children. Morgan being the first, Kasie the second, this girl -the third. But to me, she had no resemblance to them whatsoever.

"That's She. Now dinner is ready, we wouldn't want it to get cold would we?" He said, a smile on his face -that didn't seem genuine.

My parents moved forward, but stopped for a second, they asked. "She?" My dad asked, glancing at She before his attention fell back on Andrew.

He simply nodded. "That is her name, elegant isn't it?" He said tightly.

"Well, let's go into the dinning room, if you'd please." Kasie said as she guided us into the dinning room. She pulled me by her side as she sat. Seconds later, She sat before her, fumbling with her hands as usual.

"Don't I look nice?" Kasie whispered to me, causing irritation to spread through me. I nodded tightly at her absurd question. Yes she looked beautiful, but I didn't really understand why she had to ask.

Meanwhile, She looked at the food with so much longing, admiring it.

"Why, Andrew. It has been a while, last time I saw Kasie, she was two." My mother said as she dabbed the side of her mouth with a napkin. I can't actually remember Kasie, I was about 5 years when she was 2. Our families have had dealings, for a while, their shipping company helped ship the oil we minned.

"I must say, quite a while. Though it seems like we've been seeing every other day." And they all laughed. I didn't bother faking a laugh, I just ate my food casually.

"This was such a lovely way to introduce the kids." My father commented after the laugh had dailed down, as he cut some steak on his plate.

She was playing with her food, only eating when someone glanced at her. After my father spoke, her facial expression changed into one of confusion.

"Yes, it was." Her dad replied.

My dad cleared his throat, something he usually does when it's time to get down to business. His stance indicated that it was enough of small talk.

"Have you talked to them about it?" He questioned Mr Andrew.

"Well yes, I have. And all that is needed is to set a date." Mr Andrew said, sending a smile to Kasie beside me, and she sent him one of hers. I suddenly felt repulsed, at the idea of getting married to the woman -girl beside me. I sent a look to my father, shaking my head and gesturing to She. He understood perfectly, something we had been doing all my life. He nodded subtly and the silent interaction we had hadn't been noticed by anyone.