3

I sat casually on my couch as I took a drag of the cigarette between my fingers

I sat casually on my couch as I took a drag of the cigarette between my fingers. I continued to gaze into nothing in particular, as the smoke clouded my vision. A knock on my door disrupted my meditation, causing me to groan slightly.

With a gruff voice, I spoke. "Come in." And then I put off the light of the cigarette by pressing it to the ash tray. After a second, the door slid open. "Hey sweetie." My mother's sweet voice said, a complete contrast to mine.

"Mamá. What is it?" I questioned, my eyes following her as she walked over to the seat opposite mine. A smile was plastered on her face as she sat, though that smile faltered once she laid eyes on the ash tray. I rolled my eyes, already anticipating her scolding.

"You know you shouldn't-" She started to warn, but I wasn't in the mood to listen to any of it. "I get it, I get it. What was it you wanted to talk about?" I rushed her. She sighed and glared at me, causing me to lift my lips up in a smirk.

She waved her hands dismissively. "Your dad wants to talk to you in his office. Well, actually we both do." She said, though from the tone of her voice, I could tell it wasn't something I'd be interested in.

I didn't bother asking what it was about, because I already knew she wouldn't tell me. So with a curt nod I stood to my feet, straighting my shirt as I did. I placed my hands into the pocket of my sweatpants and trailed behind her to meet my father.

With a single knock, she opened the door to his office and the smell of paper and coffee hit my nose instantly. My mother went over to his side where he sat, her hand resting on his seat as she stood behind him. I took that as my cue to sit infront of them and I did.

"You wanted to speak to me." I said tightly, getting straight to the point. He put down his glasses and leaned back on his seat, crossing his arms against his chest.

"For a long time coming, I have planned on how you will take over the company when I retire, I will be handing a lot to you, more than you know." He starts off, pausing to make sure he has my attention. When he discovered that he did, he went on. "And every King needs a Queen." At this I quirk an eyebrow. I didn't want to be too quick to speak so I waited for him to go on.

"And since you don't have a Queen yet. We have a dinner planned for tonight with a potential candidate-"

"So what you're saying.. " I cut him off."..is that you're arranging a marriage for me?" I asked, almost laughing at the thought.

My parents glanced at each other and then back at me. My mother sighed, causing my attention to move to her. "She's a very pretty girl Marcel, with a wonderful spirit, though he has another daughter." She negotiates. It was almost comical how we spoke about this like I was considering getting a new toy.

"And who is their father? Her name as well." I asked.

"Their father is Andrew. CEO and founder of Anev shipping companies." My father answered instead. "Her name is Kasie." My mother finishes off. I smile faintly. I'm not even surprised my parents brought this up. What I am surprised about is the fact that I was still talking about it, and I haven't stormed out yet.