Chapter 6

Chapter edited by a_complicated_life
http://w.tt/1JnLdse

Lyla Fox P.O.V

I did it.

I made a better cure. I am the future of science, I beat Cornelius Lumiere's formula. I am above the founding father of this ark.

I must start writing my speech. The words are flowing, and for the first time in my life they feel right and, as I'm about to reach Crescendo, a guard intercepts me.

" Miss, your father calls for you", he says, and then leaves me to my thoughts. Where was I? Typical of father ; he always has to kill the moment even, when he's not here.

I gather my stuff and goes into his office. I knock lightly on the door first, and I am met with a "Come in Miss," by Sebastian, my fathers Chief of guard.

I go to my father, who is looking out the windows, ignoring me. "You called for me?"

"I did," he respond.

"On what subject? I'm busy, father."

He finally turns around and says, "Leave us, Sebastian," and he does. Then he says, "Busy what? Doing unauthorized work and illegal human testing?" he asks.

"You don't understand what I'm doing; its all beyond you . I am the future of this place, I found a better cure than Cornelius."

He chuckle, "You see now, baby? Your biggest flaws lie in your arrogance, thinking that your better than everyone else." I just stare at him. Why can't he see? Why can't he understand? I think to myself. "I will need you to destroy that cure of yours."

"What? Never! I would rather die than to do that! This cure is my legacy, this is the beginning of my history! I don't understand. Shouldn't you be happy for this? Isn't it good for your administration?" I pause and this frown appears on my forehead and finally I ask, "Aren't you proud?"

He laughed. "Oh, is that what this is about. I thought this was beyond me. Since when have you needed needed others to feel acknowledged? Wake up, we are Fox. We take, we don't ask, and we don't expect; we are." He sighs. "You think you're smarter than Cornelius, that his antidote only last two weeks because he couldn't make the timespan shorter. No, he did it that way so that we will be sure that some people simply won't survive. This ark has a caring capacity, and when a species exceed the carrying capacity of the environment, they die off and we will not die off."

I'm appalled, not because people die and will die, because growing up in the ark with a father like mine is just the reality and that was father's reality. Like he always said, "You can live in my new world or die in your old one."

Well, not this time. I won't bend. I did I discover a better cure after 7 years of research. I will not let him destroy the fruits of my labor. "Father, I will not let you do this! I will not forgive, nor forget."

He chuckles. "Look around."

I do, and subtly the rest of the room comes to me. I see the guard beside me and he finally says, "While we were having this lovely chat, Sebastian went to your lab and detroyed everything and killed you scientist friend for doing unauthorized research and testing."

I scream, thinking of my work. "What? No! What, now are you going to kill me too? Is that it, father?"

He laughs again and says, "Of course not, Peanut." The guard comes closer and suddenly, perhaps for the first time, I fear for my safety. Then father says, "Confine my daughter in her quarter until she had more team spirit."

As I'm being dragged away by the guard, I scream at the top of my lungs. "I will remember this, father! I will!"

Please leave a comment letting know what you think of the story and area you think I could improve