Chapter 14

Miley POV

I am bombarded by the noise of the sirens,

Then it was silence.

I could feel my body moving but my legs were still,

Then it stops.

White walls surround me,

Until my eyes no longer see.

Nick POV

My seatbelt cuts through me as the truck rams into the car. I think I fainted because the next thing I remember is being hauled into an ambulance. Then I think... Miley.

"Miley... Mi-"

"Sir you need to stay still. Please lie down!"

A man from behind me in a white uniform told me. I lie down once again and try to turn my head to find Miley.

No luck.

I begin breathing heavily, air unable to get through my body. 

"We need oxygen."

And he thrust a mask over my mouth.

I go to sleep once more, tired from all of the commotion and the feeling of my energy running out.

--------------------------------------------------------- 

Beep---Beep---Beep

I slowly open my eyes. I was in a hospital bed.

"Oh my god! Thank god you are awake!!" It was Kevin, my oldest brother.

Joe, Kevin, and his wife Dani was there sitting on the chairs. 

I notice that it was morning once again and ask,

"Wh-what happened?"

"You got into a car accident." He began in a low voice. "There was a drunk truck driver and he was driving at a crazy speed. He ran through a red light and rammed into your car." He took a deep breath in and then exhaled as if talking about it was extremely difficult. "Your car tumbled a couple of times and at last hit the side and stopped upside down. Luckily, you were wearing your seatbelt so you only got a couple of scratches and bruises. You did have quite a bad concussion though."

"Wait.. Where is Miley?"

They all looked at each other with sadness in their eyes. Not a single word was spoken but their faces showed what a million words couldn't. My anger started to rise as they kept their stares between them.

"What happened to her?!"

"She lost a lot of blood and hit her head pretty badly. The doctors said the best thing that would happen for her is she would lose her memory and break quite a few bones."

"Oh my god," I said, tears welling up my eyes. I kept my head down and stared at the clean white blanket that was covering me.

Kevin's voice got stuck in his throat as he said the next few words. "There is a chance that she won't make it." 

A nurse came into the room and I quickly wiped away the tears that had stained my face.

"Ahh good. You are awake. It was a miracle that you didn't get any head injury or broken bones. The doctor is going to come in 10 minutes just to make sure that everything is okay with you. Ms. Cyrus's parents or family is not here yet so could I please talk to one of you that will take responsibility for her until they come. We have put her on life support but we need to run some tests on her as her brain and heart are not responding with the rest of her body. The baby is also dying so because Miley is not responsive we need the father to make the decision on whether you would like to abort it or if you want us to keep trying to keep it alive."

My head rises as she says that word. 'Baby.'  

"Wait! Miley was pregnant!" All eyes were averted to me as they had not known about her being pregnant and was even more surprised that I didn't know. I knew I had to make a choice and that it was all up to me until I realised something. "How long has she been pregnant for?"

"You didn't know she was pregnant? She has been with child for probably a month now but it was dying from the beginning... which might have been why you didn't realise. We aren't allowed to check how long it has actually been as she is already so deprived of blood we can't take any more out or give her an ultrasound. I am so sorry."

It wasn't even my kid. I kept my head down so no one would see the tears pouring down my face. I soon hear,

"I'll go. Her parents are coming in from Nashville but they said they'll be here soon," Kevin pipes and leaves the room with the nurse.

"Nick, don't worry. She will be alright." My eyes were still on the bed and I hadn't even noticed that Dani got out of her seat until she wrapped her arms around me. She was always like an older sister to me and cared for me like her younger brother. I finally broke down in the embrace of her warm figure. 

"This is all my fault." I sobbed while pulling away from Dani. "If it weren't for me she would still be with Liam and they would have their baby together. Nor she or her baby would be dying."

"Wait a second... She is carrying Liam's child?" That was the first time I heard Joe speak today. 

"The first time we did it was.. 2 nights ago."

"Why didn't you speak up then when the nurse was here. Should we call Liam and tell him you both are in the hospital?"

Dani's eyes were on the tv and she says confidently, "I am pretty sure that he already knows." and she picks up the remote from my bedside table and turns the volume up on the small tv I had in the corner of my room.

"Okay, so we just got some more information about the deadly car accident that Miley Cyrus and Nick Jonas were in yesterday at 4:26 pm. For the new listeners, Miley Cyrus and Nick Jonas got permitted into the Malibu Urgent Care hospital yesterday after a drunk truck driver rammed into their car. It was a very old car so did not give much support to the 2 as the car tumbled and capsized, breaking apart with every hit it took. Luckily, no other civilians were injured and the drunk driver is in court talking over his punishment. Doctors from the hospital have said that Nick is awake and responding but sadly, Miley was not wearing her seatbelt so she is on life support and has a lot of brain and body damage. Many of them fear that Miley will not make it out alive but if she does, there will be some problems they would have to overcome." 

The reporter's face fell further into sadness as he gets handed a piece of paper from off-camera. He goes off-script and tells his workers, "What is wrong with you people!! We can't say this. She is dying and you want to make a bigger scene."

He gets pulled out of the camera view and the piece of paper is handed to his co-worker.

"In breaking news, Miley was apparently also pregnant but her unborn child has been dying from the beginning, which is probably why she was seen at the bar a couple of days ago drinking--"

She switches it off before he finishes talking and Kevin walks in slowly. You could see the sorrow he had just from the way he walked.

"They let me see her." His eyes were blood red and his cheeks were puffy and stained with tears. Miley and him were like brother and sister back when we were really close. We use to be neighbours so we would meet up all the time and would play and talk for hours. We would play games like table tennis or go for a swim in her pool. Dani runs up to him and pulls him in for a hug. They exchange some words that I couldn't hear but it seemed to make him feel better. 

"How is she?" I interrupted.

He turns his head to look at me but all he does is shake his head and go back to being sad. I felt like dying. Why did it have to be her? It felt like the universe was against us being together but there is no one I love more.