Chapter 5

Nick POV

I was just about to drift off to sleep after the exhilarating day but my phone begins to ring. 'Miley' is flashing on the screen and I pick up before the second ring but it wasn't what I thought it was going to be.

"Hey Miles, how are you doing?"

"Hi, Nick, could I by any chance crash at your place tonight?" Something was wrong. I could hear little sniffles as she was talking as if she had been crying.

"Is everything okay? You sound like you are crying?"

"Yeah, everything is great. You know what, never mind, no need to crash at yours. Thanks a lot though."

"Miley wh-" and just like that she hangs up. I sat there for a few minutes thinking about what just happened when I got the realization that something must have happened to her. I think about going to her house to see what happened but she obviously wouldn't be there if she was calling me to crash, so I call the next person that would be on her list.

"Hi Demi, how are you?" Demi and Miley were best friends and extremely close. 

"Nick, I am great, what's going on?"

"Has Miley by any chance called you to ask if she can crash at your house?"

She hesitates for a moment as if trying to think of what to say. After a while she whispers, "Miley just called me asking if she could come over. I have no idea what happened but she should be on her way over any minute now. I didn't want to get into too many questions on the phone so I just said yes. Did something happen between the two of you? Is that how you knew she called me?"

"I think something might have happened between her and Liam. I am coming over. See you in 10."

I quickly drive over to Demi's house and I see Miley's car already outside. I ring on the doorbell 3 times before she opens the door and I sprint in to see Miley. I see her crying on the couch but when she spots me she wipes her tears and puts on a smile. I sit beside her and she looks like a wreck. Her nose is stained red and her eyes are all puffy from the tears. 

"Miley, are you okay? You know you can talk to me about anything, right?" I say softly. Just then Demi sits down on the chair opposite us and says,

"We love you Miles, and we will always be right with you whenever you are going through anything. Please just tell us what happened." She takes a while before she speaks. A handful of tissues in her hand and all over the floor. 

"Liam and I got into another fight, but I know that will be the last one. I can't go back there. I can't be with him any longer." She looks at me and I get lost in her bright blue eyes. "I need to be with someone that makes me truly happy."

I take her arm, but she winces. She was wearing a jacket so I pull the sleeve up gently and see her red and bruised arm. I look at her face and see marks on her jaw. Furiously I ask, "Miley, what the hell happened?!" I screamed louder than I could have imagined, and I could feel my veins popping from my head. But once again she was silent unable to speak or look me in the eyes. Demi calmly says,

"Nick calm down. There is no point in getting angry or screaming at her."

"Demi she is hurt! Don't you get that? Someone attacked her and left her bruised!"

"Nick I know, but how will screaming help her. I think you just have to calm down a bit and talk to her nicely not like a jerk." Demi puts her gaze back on Miley and continues softly, "Did Liam do this to you?" She pauses but there was still no reaction from her. "Miley, please talk to us so we can help you. What did you guys fight about that made him do this to you?" She looks at me but says nothing. 

I became speechless. A thousand thoughts come running into my mind. Did Liam see us kissing? Did he hear what we said about each other? Or was it simply that she wanted to break up with him but he didn't want that? Demi looks at me confused at what Miley was implying so I take her to the only room in the house and explain everything that happened right from the kiss, to the phone call to crash at my house. 

Demi POV

"... And then I rushed over here and you know the rest." I finished. 

"I can't believe this is finally happening again. This is the 3rd time you guys are together, right?" I had a bit of humor in my voice but Nick dismissed it as if now was not the time to make jokes.

He looks at me and rolls his eyes, "Yes but this time we are not teens that are pressurized to be a power couple and we don't need to hide our relationship or be the face of a brand anymore."

"Have you guys even talked yet?"

He paused before he said, "we haven't but I know how I feel and I know what I want. She is the  one and I have known that from the very beginning."

"Then you better tell her that but don't you dare hurt her." 

We stayed in the room for a little longer until I say, "we have left Miles alone for quite some time now. Let's go back, maybe change the subject to take her mind off of what happened."

As we made our way back to the couch, we saw Miley crying once again so we comfort her while giving her lots of hugs. Nick and I started telling Miley jokes to make her smile but we all knew that she was the queen of jokes. We didn't say another word about her arm or Liam and after a few hours, she seemed to have a little smile on her face. We thought back to our Disney days, tours at young ages, and unbearable work schedules. Not long after, we all fell asleep on the couch.