Chapter 10

Miley POV

My heart was in my throat as I raced to the hospital. Nick's pain was coursing through me as I felt it throughout my whole body. I ran through at least 3 red lights and cut off 5 cars but I didn't care. I needed to make sure Nick would be okay. The hospital was 15 minutes away from his house but I made it in less than 10 minutes.

We finally reached the hospital and I must have been talking like a mad man trying to get one of the nurses to help him from the car because it took them a few seconds to understand what I was trying to say. A team of them came to my car with a wheelchair and helped Nick into it as they took him into a hospital room. I couldn't go in. I couldn't bear to see him in pain. There was a pool of blood in my car which had now soaked into the carpet and a trail leading to his room. I sat in my car, crying for what had felt like hours. 

I heard a knock on my window and a muffled voice said,

"Do you want to see him? He has been all stitched up and is ready for visitors."

I looked up and saw the face of one of the nurses. She was surrounded by crowds of paparazzi that had been taking my photo. I hadn't even realized they were there as I could only think of Nick. I hesitantly got out of the car, my face red from the crying, and walked behind the nurse. The photographers followed me to the doors of the hospital and waited there, still taking photos when the doors were closed as the security tried to contain them but had no luck.

I realized I was still in my pajamas but continued walked towards his room, trying to not think much of the dog print clothes. I was looking at the floor, but from the corner of my eye, I could see people taking photos of me. People whispering while their stare pierced through me. My eyes filled with tears once again and I lost sight of where I was going. I just kept following the blur of the nurses' shoes along a long white corridor. We walked until we reached a door with a small rectangular window. I peeked through and saw his lifeless body on the bed. His foot was in the air, bandaged up, and his head was stitched up, and had a large bruise on the side. 

I couldn't let myself into the room and I burst out crying. I sat against the wall opposite his door and hid my face in my hands. The nurse was towering above me and kept saying, "Don't worry. He will be okay in a couple of days." I knew he would be okay, and that wasn't the reason I was crying. I was crying because all of this was my fault. If I hadn't scared him, he wouldn't be in this position. If I had just stayed in my room and tried my best to go to sleep, he wouldn't be in a hospital room all banged up. He wouldn't be hurt and I wouldn't have needed to see him cry and scream. 

"Miley?" said a voice from inside the room. 

My sobbing nearly immediately stopped as I heard the small frail voice talk once again.

"Is that you?" I could hear the pain and restlessness in his voice. 

I opened the door slightly so I could squeeze my head in and see him properly.  His mouth cracked a smile as he saw me and I felt my heart break. His face and body displayed the suffering he was going through and I paused. Unable to go further inside, I stayed, half in and half out the room. His crooked smile never vanished as my feeling of guilt came rushing back. He noticed my state and motioned with his hand for me to come over.

"Miley please come here." His voice cracked with every word he said. 

I slowly walked over to his side and stared at him. My eyes filled up with tears as I bent over to be at his level.

"I am so sorry." I said whispered softly as I lay my head on him, my knees on the ground. He picked up my chin and wiped away the tears that were rolling down my face. 

"Don't be sorry. I am okay." and placed a kiss on my lips. The doctor walked in moments after and said,

"He will be fine after a few weeks." I turned around and saw the face of the doctor, a smile was plastered across his face. "He just needed to get a couple of stitches on his foot and 1 on his head. Nick, you are very lucky that you have such an amazing girlfriend that got you to the hospital in time." I looked back at Nick as he took my hand and squeezed it with love. The doctor faced towards me and began say, "He lost quite a lot of blood so he needs to stay hydrated. And please make sure he doesn't drop any more plates or any other glass objects." He chuckled and a smile started to form on my face. "Miley you will have to change the plaster once a week just to make sure it doesn't get infected. A nurse will come soon to show you how to wrap it around his foot."  

"Thank you so much." I said happily. He left straight after and the nurse came inside to show me how to change the plaster. It was fairly simple but as I kept getting scared I was hurting him. I looked over to him every time I crossed the stitches with the material, to make sure that he was okay. 10 minutes later we were allowed to leave the hospital. Nick had cruches and I was helping him along as we were walking towards the door. 

As we neared towards the door, I got blinded by the flashing lights of the cameras. The security tried to help guard us and stop the photographers but they were no use. I held my arm over my face and guided Nick to the car. I helped him in the front passenger seat and placed his cruches in the backseats. Trying not to take much notice of the photographers, I walked towards the drivers seat and drove back to the house. Making sure that I was going slow on the speed bumbs so I wouldn't harm Nick. He looked peaceful like he was no longer in pain. I didn't know if that was because of the drugs they gave him or because he felt better but I could feel his stare on me for the whole car ride.