Chp. 37- Faking It

*Taylor*

"Kylie Montgomery, is that you!" My mom squealed, "I haven't seen you in ages!"

She's such a fucking kiss ass.

She rushed to hug her, squeezing her in a tight hold. Kylie stood there awkwardly as she looked from my mom to me and then to Ava.

"So nice to see you too Laurie." She grinned.

"You've grown so beautifully! Look at you, you're stunning!"

Oh my fucking gosh mom, shut the fuck up.

"Our little Kylie always had the looks and brains. She's the total package." Mrs. Montgomery boasted as she nudged me in the side. I knew what she was trying to do. Her and my mom used to set us up on play dates since we were little. But it never worked. No matter what they attempted, I just didn't have feelings for Kylie like that. I never did. Sure, I dated her every once in a while and I definetly didn't miss an opprotunity to get in her pants, but I stopped being that guy. For one girl only. And now that girl is hanging onto the kind of person my mom would be busting her ass to impress. That's what I always hated about her. She goes out of her way to show off to the fucking rich to make herself seem better. I don't have to impress no one. I don't really care.

"Let me go introduce you to everyone out back." My mom said as she guided the couple outside.

Ava's wondering eyes still looked to me and Kylie, who was now standing beside me. Logan tugged at her arm, dragging her back into the yard. Once they were out of sight, Kylie exhaled deeply.

"What the fuck are you doing here?" I asked harshly.

Taken aback by my outburst, her eyes softened in hurt. Fuck. I took a deep breath before speaking again.

"I'm just a little surprised you're here, that's all."

"Yeah, well.. you're not the only one surprised." She glanced to the backyard, referring to Logan and Ava. "Have you talked to her?"

"No." I scoffed, "There's nothing to talk about. Plus, how can anyone talk to her when she has Logan sticking to her like a fly on shit."

She stiffled a giggle but continued, "Well.. leave that to me." And with that, she stalked into the backyard.

I quickly followed behind her. "What the hell are you gonna do?" I whispered.

"A distraction." She shrugged.

The sky started to darken as my mom's group of friends huddled around a porch table, discussing about the wedding.

Logan and Ava sat in the far corner on a bench, sitting there as they engaged into a conversation.

Kylie strolled down the tile path surrounded by grass, heading towards Ava and Logan. She looked back at me and gave me a wink. She again started to walk, but with a trip over her own foot, she fell to the floor.

"Ow, shit. Shit. Ow." She whined as she clutched her ankle.

Catching both Logan's and Ava's attention, Logan rushed to her like the fucking hero he is.

"Woah, are you okay?" He said as he looked down at Kylie.

"I'm fine.. I-I think I just twisted it. I need some ice." Wow, she's good.

"Sure, let's get you up."

Kylie wrapped her arm around him as he pulled her up. He helped her walk as she fake limped inside.

Ava followed at a distance behind them, her head down as she walked past me. I grabbed her arm and pulled her into the dark hallway between the kitchen and bathroom.