Chapter 22: Returned

The next morning I woke up in Alm's room, with my brother already gone. When I walked into the kitchen I saw my parents giggling and laughing over a meal as if their years of separation only added fuel to their flame. When they caught sight of me, they silenced their giggles, and my Mom stood up from the table.

"Ri, come" she gestured to the chair next to my dad, "We have much to discuss".

I sighed and took my seat at the table, all-too-familiar with what accompanies that phrase. I relaxed into the chair and gave my parents a gesture to begin.

"Ri, we don't want you to go back and—".

"—Your mom, thinks being around the Human is too dangerous, and that you should keep your distance". My dad corrected, laying a hand on hers in an effort to calm her down.

My jaw tensed as I squinted and crossed my arms. A response my mother was all-too-familiar with.

"No".

"NO"? My mother shouted in question.

"Maya", my dad said, making her pause. He then looked at me, "We are just concerned—"

"—Mom, Dad. I am so happy with my life there. My tree, my friends... and Mom, that human would whole-heartedly agree with you that humans are dangerous. And by some miracle, he has been able to satiate my curiosity to where my explorations aren't putting me in danger... well to a point".

"Ri—", my mom started sternly before I cut her off.

"No, mom, you  listen", I said knowing her next words. "I am HAPPY. For the first time, I am content with staying in one place. Anyway I have to at least  tell him I'm okay, and I can protect myself better than you think ".

My dad nodded back and forth recalling the extent of my abilities. My moms eyes were wide and filling with tears. I knew she was wishing there was something she could say to change my mind.

"Maya," my dad turned to her lovingly.

"I know, Kesh, I know", she responded before looking at me. "When are you leaving"?

"Today", I said softly. My mom sighed and her eyes rolled up to hold back her tears before she looked over at my dad.

"I think she will visit more than you think", He said and then looked over at me, "Right"?

"Yes. AND, I have learned that if you find a willow tree, you can ask the willow to 'send a message to the willow Shae in the Otherworld, and Shae will tell me".

My mother stood solemnly, and walked into the kitchen to grab something. When she came back over she begrudgingly handed a stack of enchanted paper. "Here. You better write to me as well".

I smiled empathetically and wrapped her in a hug, temporarily ignoring the paper. She had already known what my answer would be, and my heart lurched out for her. "Thank you", I said as we separated. I was thankful she didn't give me more of a fight.

"So, where is Alm" I asked my mom who was sitting back down at the table.

"He went to spend time with the Iron Fae", she said and looked up at me, "He kept his promise about looking for an apprenticeship. Although I'd rather him not... he's too young".

My head drew back in offence as my brows raised in question. "I wasn't too young", I noted in offence, remembering how she practically made me Appretice with the Summertime Seamstress  before I even turned 418. 

She turned around to face me, "Yes, well you were also getting into endless amounts of trouble". She said defensively harsh, and I smiled knowing I couldn't argue with her when she made that point.