Chapter 8: Black as Cole

Guys, I'm so proud of myself! I've been writing at least two chapters ahead before I post so that I won't be late. Consistency is key😌. I hope you guys enjoy it!
——————————————————
It's a bright and sunny day outside, which would be nice for a walk or a picnic, but instead, I'm searching through the Book of Shadows with Paige. There is a demon who has been exclusively hunting witches, and it has everyone on high alert, even the Elders. I'm a little nervous because I have no clue what threat we're currently facing for the first time since I've met the girls. None of the clues we've been given have sparked any memories, and it's causing me to be anxious.

My hands hover over the book. The pages turn and occasionally stop on what may or may not be what I'm looking for. I can hear Piper pacing while Paige quickly reads through the book when it stops.

"A demon who likes to kill witches. Well, that narrows it down to about every page in the book." Paige remarks as she tells me to keep flipping.

"We have one clue." Piper speaks up, "We know he likes to use an athame."

"How does that help?" Paige asks her.

"Well, it means he has hands." She tells her. She looks at me, "Keep flipping."

I sigh and hold my hands out, and the pages start flipping again.

Paige gets bored of looking and asks Piper, "So I hear you and Leo are thinking about having a baby."

Piper regards her with a raised eyebrow, "Where did you hear that from?"

Paige shrugs. "From Phoebe," Piper rolls her eyes. "Oh, did I just break some sort of sister confidentiality clause?"

Piper shakes her head, "No, you didn't, and no, we aren't."

"Really? Don't you want to? Not to be nosey, but I want to know if I'm going to be an aunt and all."

Piper sighs. "You're not going to be an aunt, all right? At least not any time soon. It's too risky. It would be in constant danger around us."

"What does Leo think?"

"Leo thinks that there's enough magic around here we'd be able to protect it."

"Maybe he's right. What do you think, Ambrose?" Paige asks me.

I bring my hands down, and the pages stop flipping.

"I think...you're all right. You, Leo, and Paige. Having a baby will mean that the baby will be exposed to evil and demons and warlocks. But Leo is right. We do have enough magic to protect him."

"Him?" Piper asks. "If we did have a baby, it would be a girl. That's the way it's always been in the Halliwell family."

I internally groan at my mess up, "Right. I meant "it." But...you know, this generation of Halliwell's is pretty unique. I wouldn't be surprised if something else changes."

Piper looks at me with a curious stare. "It doesn't matter because we're not having one. Keep flipping."

I sigh, "I'm flipping."

Paige continues with baby talk. "You know, it's not like having a baby isn't hard enough even without demons attacking. But for what it's worth, there are ways of seeing what it's like before you actually have one."

"Mm-hmm, great. Well, the next time you pass a baby rental, pick one up for Leo."

"Maybe I will." Paige mumbles.

Leo orbs in, causing Piper to jump.

"So, did you find anything out?" He asks her.

"Uh, yeah, I scryed for the location of the demon using the slime from the last victim, and Phoebe and Cole are checking it out."