Six

-Tell me you're joking. -he whispers.

-I don't. -you smile. -But it's okay, it was long ago.

-How could anyone do such a thing to a child?

-I was the logical choice. -you answer, leaning back again. His nearness makes your heart uneasy.

-Don't say this! -he shouts.

-But I was, Rosinante. The Navy didn't provide him kids to experiments. And there I was, a close and easy solution. -you explain, moving your half-done foot. -The problem is that he failed but he kept calling me failure instead. My father is sure he couldn't achieve his plan because my body wasn't good enough.

-What did he do to you?

-He modified my Devil Fruit before he made me eat it.

-We don't even understand them, not to modify.

-Have you heard of the Germa 66, Rosinante?

-It's... yes. How does it come now?

-Vegapunk was always impressed by their soldiers. They can produce grown-up, perfect humans in a few years. But even the Navy's genius couldn't do it, no matter how he tried. Then he received the Live Live Fruit. It isn't a very strong one, just able to create, move and refresh plants.

Rosinante turns pale.

-He wanted you to be able to grow humans the same way, right?

-Yes. That would be a terrible power to bear. Imagine the Navy with as many soldiers as they want. It would affect the whole world's balance.

-Thank god he failed. -sighs the man, lighting up a cigarette. You grab a cup of water and pour it on his shoulder when it goes up in flames. He laughs at your prediction and his bright features make you smile.

You blush from this thought and turn back to your foot to finish it while speaking.

-Yes, he failed. I'm not even able to create animals, no matter how they tried to force me. So Vegapunk continued to modify my body after, with injections and pills. Naturally, none of those worked but he never gave up. Soon, my healing abilities appeared, but nobody knew a thing about how it works, what are the limits. So my father came up with an idea. He continues to work on treatments, to correct his mistake. And meanwhile, he gave me to the CP0. Their job was to discover and analyze everything my modified Fruit was capable of. And they were very creative with the methods.

Rosinante slowly nods.

-I'm sorry, [Y/N].

-Don't pity me, I can't stand it.

-But why did you have to-

-If my father didn't modify my Fruit, if the CP0 didn't torture me, I wouldn't have been able to heal you. -you whisper, then a smile spreads on your lips. -All those things were worth it because you can live.

He frowns for a second.

-Your whole personality is warm and bright, Rosinante. By saving you, I know that I did something good for this world. This is why you mustn't feel pity or anger about my past. -you say and finish the last touch on your wound. -See, even my leg is complete again.

He doesn't answer so you look up and freeze down right after. You see tears in his beautiful eyes.

-W-why? -you ask. -Did I say something wrong? What's the matter? I'm sorry if I-

-It's not that. -he stops you. -Just I don't understand. You dared to say you're not a good soul, yet every word you say is filled with kindness and care.