Chapter 15

15th January 2021, Friday

03:43 pm

Marie-Lou's Home for the Homeless

Freddie soaked in the view of his old home. He had made it through the backyard. All he had to do now was break in. He saw the open window that led to Mason's room. With no other way in, he gripped the iron pipe and started climbing. Once he reached the window, Freddie hopped inside and lied down on the floor, dead tired. He scanned the room. It was much different from the last time he saw it. He glanced at the trophies and medals Mason received – the awards shined so brightly that Freddie could see his own reflection. How Mason changed from a shy and scared little kid to someone you should never mess with, Freddie didn't understand. He knew he would be dead if Mason caught him in here. The guy didn't trust him anymore. Freddie wished he never shared his brother's secret.
Freddie ran down the stairs and opened the door to Marie-Lou's room. Here was someone who never changed their sense of style. The walls were white and the bed was navy blue. A brown cupboard stood at the left side of the room, just opposite to the bed. The dagger was stabbed onto the nightstand. Freddie grasped it and tugged. No sign of movements. Groaning, he pulled at it, putting all his weight backwards. Finally, it loosened itself and went flying across the room. It hit a box on the top of the cupboard and fell along with it. The lid of the box opened and pieces of paper toppled out along with two picture frames.
Overwhelmed with curiosity, Freddie held up the two pictures and examined it. The first one was a picture of a boy around the twins' age – 13 or 14. He was paler than Wendy. He had shaggy, white-blond hair and purple eyes framed with Harry Potter style glasses. Purple. Not blue like his, not sapphire like Jackie's – violet, like lavenders. So cool, Freddie couldn't help thinking. The boy was smiling, but his eyes and aura didn't seem to agree with the emotion. They carried an air, of reluctance with a hint of dejection, as if he was thinking, why am I even here?
The second photo was of him and a fifteen year old girl... Marie-Lou? How did she know him? The photo was taken from the side. She and the boy were holding hands and looking into each other's eyes. This time, Freddie could feel the positive vibe that the picture emitted. It was obvious that the two were close. Freddie noticed happy Marie-Lou looked. The way she smiled softly and warmly towards the boy made him slightly jealous and a whole lot angry. Why didn't she act like this now? What happened between the two?
Craving to know more to the story, Freddie grabbed the letters. There weren't that many, but he organized them in order of date and began reading.

"30/11/2014 (Sunday)
Dear Marie-Lou,
I'm sorry if I was acting distant today. I had a bad day in school, as usual. It's rough when you're different from everyone else. I don't know how you actually like having me around. They all call me names. They all stay away from me. But as long as you don't leave me, I don't need anyone else. At least, that's what I keep telling myself. But inside, I really want to talk to others. But because of... certain conditions, no one wants me. See you tonight!
Marshall."

"1/12/2014 (Monday)
Dear Marshall,
Are they still teasing you? Really, they have to stop all that. You're great! Maybe they're worried that you're better than them. And don't worry about me leaving you – I'm not going anywhere.
I just came up with a great idea. How about I ask my mom if she could change it? She might come up with an idea. I'll check with her and let you know if she agrees!
Marie-Lou."

"5/12/2014 (Friday)
Dear Marie-Lou,
Thank you so much! The people at the lab said they could change the color, but it might take some time. You have no idea what this means to me. After all this, no more trauma! Sure it's risky, but what do I have to lose?
Marshall."

"6/12/2014 (Saturday)
Dear Marshall,
Please be careful in the lab. Don't touch anything! If it makes you happy, I guess it's worth the wait. I will miss seeing your unique eyes. But if this is what you really want I'm not stopping you. Write often, OK?
Good Luck,
Marie-Lou."

"8/12/2014 (Sunday)
Dear Marie-Lou,
It is day three here and I'm already exhausted from all the tests. If I have to hear the word "test" one more time, I'm going to lose it. I want to leave and come back, but everyone is so persuasive it's hard not to listen to them. Besides, only two more days until a new me. I think I can hold on. See you soon!
Marshall."

"9/12/2014 (Monday)
Dear Marshall,
If you're not sure about staying, maybe you should leave. Isn't being yourself better? I'll still be with you, no matter how different you are. Don't let anyone else change your mind. It's your decision. I know you'll do what's best.
Marie-Lou."

"10/12/2014 (Tuesday)
Dear Marie-Lou,
I did try leaving, but the others said it's best if I stay for the final thing. And so I'm staying. After today, I'm coming back! It's going to be epic. See you most probably tonight. Hope you'll stay with me no matter what happens.
Marshall."

There was a third picture at the back of the last letter. A selfie of Marie-Lou and Marshall in front of a school gate. Marie-Lou seemed to be smiling, but the younger boy had no air of positive energy. Freddie noticed a slight change in his eyes. There were now blotches of black blending in with the purple. The kid looked so downcasted. His gaze was fixed somewhere far away and his expression was forced. Freddie wondered if his "caretaker" did something to him as well.
Why did Marie-Lou have to ruin things for others? Her parents were so welcoming and warm towards others. They didn't do things to make others miserable. They were ready to take in anyone from anywhere. It didn't matter who you were. They gave everyone a chance. Freddie wondered if Marie-Lou was even related to them.
He went downstairs towards the living room. He picked up the phone and dialed a number. I can still save them, and get my parents back, Freddie thought. A plan had formed in his mind - one full of risks. If he wanted it to work, nothing should go wrong.
'Hello?' a voice called from the other end in an annoyed tone.
'Um,Sherlock? This is Freddie speaking. We need to talk'