Chapter 5

Day 4 (10th January 2021, Thursday)

4:20 pm

Martin hopped out of his bike and stared at the shop in front of him. A small, one-story building painted in snowy white, except for the red sign on top of the door that read: "Aiuchi Pharmacy" in black. The door was crystal clear, similar to the pair of windows that was placed on either side. A triangular roof in the same color as the sign was like a highlighter mark on a spotless white paper. All in all, the shop looked like a child's stereotypical drawing of a house.
A tiny golden bell inside jingled as Martin stepped in. rows and rows of shelves that contained medicines and other care equipment were arranged in a very organized manner, like students in a school assembly. Martin walked towards the counter, where the cashier sat, counting a bundle of money he had in his hands. He looked up as the young sleuth strolled up to the counter.
'Hello, welcome to Aiuchi Pharmacy. How may I help you?' The cashier asked.
'Actually, there is something you can help me with – but it doesn't really include to buying' Martin replied nervously.
The man raised his eyebrows. 'Really? And what would that be, my friend?' He had a heavy accent – Chinese or Japanese maybe?
Martin showed his ID. 'I am from YODA, Yorky's Organization for Detective Assistance, and I am currently in the middle of solving a case. One of the suspects had come here before. He had bought an item and I need to confirm my suspicions' he explained, making an effort to sound like a pro, a person who had experienced thousands of cases – even though he knew enough not to expect it from others.
The cashier smiled. 'Well, if it is that important, come with me' He got up from his seat and turned to a doorway that led to a second room Martin guessed was used as storage. He was right. The place was filled with boxes of all sizes. Martin had a sudden feeling of claustrophobia, but he heroically managed to shake it off.
The man gestured for Martin to sit on one of the boxes and he did the same.
'I believe we haven't properly introduced ourselves. My name is Aiuchi Aibo – or Aibo. I am the owner of this place and if it helps, I remember everyone who came here' he put out his hand.
'Martin de Jong, sir. I'm a new recruit and this is my very first case. It would help if you remember everyone that came here' Martin said as he shook hands. He somehow couldn't lie to Aibo.
Aibo was a chubby man a few centimeters taller than Martin himself – somewhere around 5 foot and 9 inches to be precise. He wore a simple white t-shirt under a metallic black leather jacket with navy blue jeans and shoes that matched the color of the locks of tied back hair on his head – chocolate brown. His almond shaped eyes were the color of ink. He wore a thick silver chain necklace and a pair of matching silver rings on his right hand – one on the index finger, and one on the ring finger. He looked like a swag baby sumo wrestler, in a cute and gentle way. His speech matched the smile he gave when Martin first entered.
'So, when did this mystery man come into my shop?' Aibo wanted to know.
'Uh, actually, he isn't a man. Did you remember a teenage boy about fifteen years old? A little tan, brown eyes with black hair?'
'When was this?'
'Umm -' Martin racked his brain, trying to recall the date in Freddie's diary. '25th December, about sixteen days before today?'
Aibo frowned for a moment, and soon replaced it with a smile of triumph. 'Ah, yes. There was a boy who came to my shop. He spoke with an Italian accent, if I am not wrong – maybe Spanish. He told his brother was feeling unwell, and that he needed to help him. I had asked him what happened to his brother, and he told me that he was getting a lack of sleep. So I gave him Morphine, and told him the instructions very simply because he did not speak proper English, and sent him off'
Now it was Martin's turn to frown. 'How did he pay for it? And how much was it?'
'He paid in cash – for 40 dollars. Why do you ask?'
'I just wanted to know' Martin's mind was racing. How did Mason get that much money? Was it savings or did Marie-Lou help him? Did he even have savings? He would only know when he reached the orphanage.
He focused on Aibo. 'Thank you so much, sir. It really helped' he told him with a smile.
Aibo chuckled. 'Anytime, my friend. When you solve this mystery, you will come and tell me all about it, yes?'
'Of course' Martin went out of the shop, hopped on to his bike, and sped off towards "Marie-Lou's home for the homeless" probably for the final time.

He reached his destination reasonably quick – around 5:20 – considering he ran out of gas, walked his bike all the way to the gas station, filled it, and went back on track.
The door was opened by Jackie this time. He had a small bruise on his forehead, which he later explained was from "a small trip down the stairs". Freddie was right. Young Jackie Leroy had problems. With Marie-Lou's permission, he went up to Wendy's room and knocked on the door.
'Come in'
Wendy was lying down on the bed reading the first novel of the "Maze Runner" series. She wore a white crop top over a black tank top and blue ripped jeans. Her enormous golden hoop earrings jingled as she turned to face Martin. Her expression changed into a blend of seriousness and irritation.
'May I talk to you?' Martin asked.
'I don't think I have much of a choice' Wendy sighed as she sat up on her bed and motioned for him to sit next to her.
Martin took a breath. How was he going to explain all this to her without giving away the fact that Freddie had a diary? 'I heard that you and Freddie got into an argument a few days before he died. What happened? I thought you two were close'
'It really wasn't anything much, now that I think about it. I just happened to be walking upstairs and I bumped into Freddie. He yelled at me for not looking. Then I got mad, and I told him to stop being mad at everyone and everything because he was acting super strange those days. He got jumpy about basically everyone and everything without reason. We argued back and forth for quite a while until Freddie probably got tired and left. Wait. How do you know about-'
'HAHA. Thanks, Wendy. That really helped. I am running out of time and I really have to ask the others some questions. Thanks again' Martin hastily got up and headed towards the door, wearing an uneasy smile. Before leaving, he remembered the clue he found from the room and turned around.
'Wendy?'
'Hmm?'
'Did you, by any chance, lose an ice skate?'
'Actually yes. I got a new pair though, so it's fine'
Martin nodded and went outside.
He went up to Logan, who was showing some card tricks to Jackie and Ashley on a picnic table in the backyard. Logan wore a black t-shirt with the blue words "RULE BREAKER" printed on it along with black jeans and a black bucket hat. Jackie and Ashley were obviously pretending to be Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse. They wore black and red colored outfits and had mouse eared headbands placed on their heads.
'Now you see it. Now you don't. Now you see it. And now you – oh hey, Agent Martin. Wassup?'
'Uh, hey. Logan, may I borrow you for a minute?'
'Sure' Logan turned to his siblings. 'OK, guys. I'm gonna go for a few minutes. Whatever you do, don't spin the lever in this box. Clear?'
'Clear' Jackie smiled.
Logan jogged over and dragged Martin a few feet away.
'3, 2, 1' he pointed at the kids.
Jackie and Ashley screamed as a toy snake popped out from the box. They had spun the lever. Logan laughed.
'So, why do you need me again?' he asked casually, as if the prank never happened.
'Do you have a pair of gloves?' Martin cringed at how random the question was. Oh hey friend. Quick question. Do you have a pair of gloves?
'What? No. why? Do you need some? I am sure your agency provides that for you'
'So you don't have? Are you positively sure?'
'Look. If this is to solve your case, I promise – pinky promise as Ashley says – that I don't have a pair of gloves. Never did. Probably never will, although there is this one prank I want to try that includes gloves...'
With no other option, Martin sent the boy to his siblings again. He finally went to find the last person to question.
Martin walked up to Marie-Lou and led her out of earshot. He couldn't let anyone of the children hear his suspicions.
'What is it?' Marie-Lou asked, audibly bewildered.
'Marie-Lou, I want you to listen to me carefully. A few days before Freddie died, did you give money to anyone?'
'Money? No, not really. Why?'
'Not even 40 dollars?'
'No I... actually...' Marie-Lou trailed off, her face flushing from embarrassment. She was audibly not sharing something.
'Yes?'
'On 25th December, if memory serves, I lost about 40 dollars. I thought I just misplaced it, but now that you mentioned it like that I am really not so sure anymore'
Martin's heart was racing and his mind was going even faster. Medicine... crime... letters... money... everything was getting put together. He now knew who the murderer was.
'Marie-Lou. I want you and the kids to come over to YODA around 8:30 at night. Sorry but it's the only –'
'You mean you solved it' Marie-Lou's mouth twisted into a smile.
'Yes. I just need to make him confess'
'In that case, we have to come, don't we?'
Martin could have jumped up and down with joy. He did it! He managed to keep his posture as he walked across the green to his bike.
'Martin?' it was Marie-Lou.
He looked over his shoulder and waited.
'Is the killer... in this house?' Marie-Lou looked scared.
Martin slowly nodded. 'Yes. But after tomorrow, he isn't going to hurt anyone anymore'
Martin jumped on his bike and drove home, the bright sunset reminding him of the vibrant and colorful victory and triumph he will be receiving the next day...