Chapter 11

13th January 2021, Wednesday

4:41 pm

Marie-Lou's Home for the Homeless
'So you're telling me that you guys are both siblings? Your actual name is Sofia and that your dad was a fugitive and the cause for the fire?' Wendy still could not wrap her head around it.
'Yeah isn't that awesome? Though, I prefer Ashley better' Ashley said. She was sitting cross-legged on the bed, next to Jackie. Wendy had taken a beanbag and was sitting in front of them beside Mason, who leaned against the wall. He was also grinning.
'And I thought my reveal was huge' she smiled.
'Marie-Lou really had a scar? Freddie was telling the truth?' Mason wanted to know.
'Yeah. Wendy showed it to me, while we were getting in the car' Jackie said bluntly. He had been acting strange ever since they came home. Wendy hoped that Jackie wouldn't turn the way Freddie did.
She recalled everything that happened the past two weeks. Lucas died. Logan died. Mason was taken away and brought back. Ashley turns out to be his sister. The worst part? Freddie was the murderer. And Marie-Lou was behind it all.
Wendy couldn't believe how the two people she had the most trust and faith in – the ones she was the closest to – would just let her down like that. She couldn't even talk to anyone about it. Being the second oldest at this point, she only had Mason, but Wendy didn't want to pressure him with her opinions. The guy already had more than enough on his plate at this rate.
Wendy wished all of it would end soon. They could go back to their normal lives again. But was it really normal without Logan and Lucas pranking everyone every five minutes? Was it really normal without being able to talk to Freddie? Wendy didn't know anymore. Sherlock had been on the case for an eternity now. She had told her siblings not to say a word about the night at the warehouse. At this point, no one could be trusted.
'Wendy?' Mason shook her out of her thinking cloud. He pointed at the younger two, who were staring at her with anticipation.
'Huh?' she tilted her head and frowned slightly, imitating Mason. She didn't want the others to tell if she was bothered – best to keep them laughing. Next to her, Mason scowled as Ashley and Jackie burst into fits of giggles.
'What are we going to do now?' Ashley repeated.
'Well...' Wendy started. Why were they asking her? Wasn't Mason the oldest? She flashbacked to a conversation she had with Freddie years ago, when Marie-Lou put her in charge of the others while she and her brother left.
'Why me? Why should I be in charge?' she had complained to Freddie by the door.
'Because everyone looks up to you. And also 'cause you take initiative easily. You're better at being the oldest than I ever will be. Just answer their questions. Simple' he replied.
Just answer their questions.
'We wait till 15th, just like Freddie said. Not a word will be said to anyone. When Marie-Lou leaves, we call Sherlock and let him know. Then, we sneak out and go there too. Clear?' everyone nodded.
'What do we do till then? We still have a whole day' Jackie asked.
Wendy smiled. 'Well, isn't it someone's birthday tomorrow?' she asked, glancing at Mason. Her brother's face turned bright red.
'I forgot' he admitted.
'How can you forget your own birthday?' Ashley spoke as if Mason had said something insulting.
'You can't do that! We are doing something tomorrow – we have to' she exclaimed, looking at Wendy as she hopped off the bed and gave Mason a hug.
Wendy laughed at her sister's grim face. Her eyes moved to Jackie, who was remaining silent amongst all the excitement. His face was unreadable, but his eyes carried a furious light as they glared at the others. Jackie never got angry. The little eight year old couldn't glare. He was usually so happy and upbeat. What was going on? Before Wendy could come up with a conclusion, Jackie got up from his seat and brushed past Mason and Ashley. He let himself out and slammed the door behind him.
Silence followed his exit. Wendy and her siblings glanced at each other. Ashley's mouth hung open and her eyes were wide with confusion. Mason looked hurt. After all, they were talking about his birthday.
'What's wrong with Jackie?' Ashley asked, her head turning to face Wendy.
'Maybe he's just sleepy. You know how he gets' Wendy tried to convince her siblings as well as herself. But inside, she knew that it wasn't lack of sleep that turned Jackie sour. He was so happy a few hours ago.
Her brother cleared his throat, catching her attention.
'Uh... I'm gonna go out' he said before awkwardly getting up and heading out too.
Wendy looked at her sister. 'I suppose you're doing the same?'
'I guess so' Ashley laughed before moving towards the door. 'We are reading together tonight, right?'
'Yep. Chapter seven of "Matilda" in my room just as we agreed' Wendy promised.
Ashley grinned before disappearing down the hallway. Wendy flopped on her bed and sighed. Her thoughts turned to Jackie. Why was he acting so strange? Ever since he entered the house he was feeling off beat. Wendy remembered how happy he was when they were coming back after the checkup. She had given her brother a lollipop for good behavior.
'Just wait till Mason sees this!' he had exclaimed, unable to sit still in the car. But he remained silent when Wendy showed him the scar behind Marie-Lou's ear. Maybe that was why. Still, that was no reason to act like that. The four had to stick together. Something didn't feel right, or maybe it was just the smoke coming from down stairs.
Wait... smoke?
Wendy jumped down the stairs and rushed inside the kitchen, Mason right behind her. Ashley had tried heating some leftover pizza. Wendy and Mason looked at their sister in disbelief as she hopelessly tried to send off the smoke. Wendy groaned and opened the window. Then, she glared at Ashley, who in return, laughed sheepishly.
'I was hungry' she peeped.
Mason smacked his hand on his forehead and rolled his eyes. At that moment, Marie-Lou entered the scene, followed by Jackie.
'What is going on in here?' she demanded. Ashley opened her mouth to respond, but Wendy was faster.
'Ashley decided to reheat the leftover pizza from yesterday. Only, she left it for too long' she explained.
'And now it's burnt' her sister complained, receiving Mason's trademark sideway glare.
'Ashley how many times do I have to tell you not to use the oven by yourself?' Marie-Lou chided.
'I know'
'Good. Wendy, get your sister a snack. I'll be in my room if you need anything' she said before leaving.
Wendy rummaged through the fridge and gave some cookies and sent her off.
'Jackie you want to come to my room? We can watch something' Mason was trying to make their younger brother smile. He knew that the eight year old loved coming to his room.
Jackie's frown became even colder. 'No thanks. You can ask Ashley' he replied, running to his own room.
'Jackie!' Wendy was shocked. Where did he learn to do all that? This wasn't like him at all. She turned to Mason for help, some suggestions that would explain his behavior. Her brother looked hurt. His eyes met hers and Wendy knew that her older brother was also upset.
'I tried' Mason shrugged as he took a seat on the counter. 'Did I do anything?'
'I don't think so. And I don't think it's something related to, you know, recent events' Wendy replied.
'How do you know?'
'He's eight'
'Point made'
Wendy sighed with frustration. 'I'll talk to him tonight. Leave him be and let him cool off. What are you doing tomorrow? It is your day, after all'
Mason raised an eyebrow, something Wendy longed to do. No matter how many times she tried, she kept raising two instead of one. 'At this point, I don't know. I mean, it's not going to be the same. Definitely different from last year'
'Yeah. Last year, your birthday was a disaster'
'Remember what the twins did to me?'
'They doodled all over your face with permanent markers. You looked terrible. How could I not remember?' Wendy laughed.
'And Jackie destroyed my cake'
'That was funny'
'And you blew out the candles before I could?'
'That was an accident'
Mason laughed, and Wendy noticed how different he looked when he wasn't frowning.
'You think you could change Jackie's mind?' he asked.
'If I figure out why, maybe I can'
'Fine by me' Mason yawned. 'I'm going to sleep. See ya later'
He turned and left for his room. Wendy walked towards hers, passing Jackie's room. The door was slightly open. She peeked inside to see her brother sullenly lying on his bed, twisting his baseball cap the way he usually did when he was bothered. She passed the twins' room. Although it was now empty, it still carried an aura of mischievousness, as if the brothers were still alive.
'Wish you guys were here' Wendy whispered before heading back upstairs.