PROLOGUE

'THREE! TWO! ONE! Everyone together!' Marie-Lou shouted at the six enthusiastic children sitting in front of her. 'HAPPY NEW YEAR!' Mason, Wendy, Logan, Lucas, Ashley, and Jackie chorused as one, blowing out the candles of the giant cake sitting on the table. Marie-Lou smiled as the cake cutting immediately turned into a food fight in a matter of seconds. The New Year was special to everyone in the world - but to Marie-Lou and the kids in "Marie-Lou's Home for the Homeless", it was the mark of the day they became a family. The day Marie-Lou's parents gave them a home to live in and a family to live with. She held her camera to take a picture, but put it down almost instantly, her smile fading. There was one person missing in the room.
'Where is Freddie?' She asked Ashley, the second youngest in the group.
Ashley shrugged. 'I don't know' she replied before running after Wendy with frosting on her fingers.
'Maybe he is skipping dinner again' Wendy called out between giggles as she dodged Ashley's attack.
'I asked Lucas to fetch him a few minutes ago, right after we cut the cake. He seemed pretty happy to go. Although, why you want to go call someone who isn't going to come anyway, I have no idea' Logan shrugged and went back to creaming Jackie with frosting.
Marie-Lou sighed with exasperation. This was the third time this week that Freddie Lorenz, the oldest of the bunch, stayed in his room all through dinner. Usually a level-headed and calm yet naughty kid, Marie-Lou had noticed that he was acting paranoid over the month. He refused to talk about anything and had recently started an upsetting habit of staying in his room alone without playing or talking with his foster siblings as he normally did. And if Lucas was going to follow his example...
'Freddie? Could you come down please? You're missing out on a lot. You too Lucas. Get down here' Marie-Lou called. No reply. The same sentence she repeated at least five times. No answer. Silence filled her ears despite the frosting chaos that was happening behind her. Marie-Lou frowned. Did he sleep already? On this day of all days? What was going on? Is he alright? With paranoid thoughts running through her mind, she made her way up the staircase, narrowly missing a frosting chunk thrown Jackie.
'Freddie? Lucas?' Marie-Lou called softly as she knocked on the door of his bedroom. Once again, no reply. Sighing softly, she opened the door and the sight that lay in front of her eyes almost made her pass out with shock.
Freddie's room looked like the remains of war. Clothes, books, and his other belongings were scattered all over the floor. And sprawled in the center of the room was... sixteen year old Freddie himself. His white t-shirt was now gleaming a dark red from a long and deep cut that snaked from his side. His eyes were wide open, the usual mischievous glint long gone and the bright blue color that filled them faded, making the frozen look of fear that was plastered on his face even more blood-curdling. Tufts of curly brown hair swayed aimlessly with the wind. The splash of freckles that once used to make others laugh was invisible from the horrifying bruises on his cheeks. A spill of brown liquid (medicine or paint, maybe?) trailed near the bed. Marie- Lou looked through the open window that she was sure was closed this evening. A small figure was making his way down the road, running further and further away from view. Marie-Lou screamed, over whelmed with shock and despair. She didn't need any explanation to know what was going on.
Freddie Lorenz, the oldest in the pack of children, was murdered.