18. Loss

"So what now? Do you have any kind of plan?" Levi asked

I stood still, taking shallow breaths to try and calm the anxiety that was circling in my head. I glanced over to the new recruits who were all huddled, scared out of their minds. I can't blame them. The fear that was settling in my stomach was none that I had ever felt before.

"There has to be a way out of this, right?" I asked with an undertone of desperation.

Levi looked to me. His brows pulled up slightly as he looked at me with subtle worry.

A boom snapped us from our conversation. Looking up to the wall, I could see Eren's Titan form collapsed on top of the wall. His head and arms dangling off the sides and he appeared to be unconscious. He's alive?!

"Oh no..." I whispered.

"Shit. That's Eren up there," Levi hissed, "There's only one Titan that could fling him up there like that. The Colossal."

Another wave of rocks shot through the buildings near the front of town, leveling them as they made their impact. The ground rumbled beneath our feet as the Beast Titan continued to assault us from the front. Recruits continued to sob and scream as the assault proceeded.

"This place is going to look like a damn honeycomb before long. The Beast Titan knows where we are," Levi growled.

"Erwin. If there's no chance that we can turn this around then tell me. We can still cut our losses. Go shake the shit out of Eren until he wakes up," he pointed up to Eren's unconscious form, "Have him run away with as many people as he can carry. Then we'll have at least some survivors."

My eyes flickered over to the recruits. Several were sobbing and crying out for their mothers. Others looked to be in a daze. The scent of blood and dust blanketed us, reminding us that we were staring death directly in the face.

Levi lowered his hand, looking down at the ground in defeat.

"You can tell what's left of the recruits and Hange's group to run away on horseback. They won't have much of a chance, but they'll be decoys. They can give Eren a shot at escaping."

"Tell me. How would you fit into this plan?" Erwin asked with a stoic expression.

"I'm going to go after the Beast Titan. I'll draw him away somehow and—"

"You can't. You won't even make it near him."

"Probably not. But, If you and Emily make it home with Eren alive, then there will still be hope. All things considered, I feel like that's the best we could ask for."

"Levi, no." My breath escaped me as I choked out the words.

"We've been brutalized. To be honest, sir, it seems that this battle will be where the Scout Regiment gets finished off," Levi continued, clenching his fist.