3. Expedition

It has been a few weeks since the cadets made their decision

It has been a few weeks since the cadets made their decision. The Scouts only managed to recruit a handful of cadets total after Erwin's intimidating speech. I have been busy gathering different medical necessities for the upcoming expedition. No doubt there will be some injuries, if not casualties, having going on a scouting mission this soon after recruitment. Other times, I tagged along with assisting Hange in some experiments regarding Eren and his Titan powers with Squad Levi out on the fields.

After a certain incident with a spoon, Hange had come to the conclusion that Eren needed a motive in order to transform into his Titan form. It was a pretty chaotic few days, but Hange was beaming at the discovery.

I hadn't seen Hange in days since we began preparing. She has been off working on some new weaponry for the mission. She wouldn't tell me the exact details of her latest project. The cadets were busy learning Erwin's formations at the hand of a soldier by the name of Dieter Ness, who had been appointed to be the mentor for the new recruits while the other Captains and higher-ranked soldiers prepared.

The scouts still remained at the old castle headquarters and the new recruits are scheduled to be arriving this evening.

Squad Levi was out teaching Eren the formation in person. Erwin's plan for true positioning was kept under wraps to just a couple of people. I was unsure of the true plan, but Erwin appointed me to ride alongside him in this next mission. The thought made a blush kiss my cheeks.

I had always respected Commander Erwin and he was mostly the reason I joined the Scouts a few years ago. The idea of being at his side filled me with excitement, like I was truly needed. It gave me a feeling of purpose.

I just returned to the castle after a trek back to town for some supplies. Since we were housing more people in the castle, more medical supplies were needed along with some rations. The castle had plenty of ground for physical training and a lot more rooms for people to bunk in. Even though it was secluded, it gave ample opportunity for the entire regiment to train properly without interruption.

Dusk was hitting the sky as I made my way to the stables to return my horse for the night. Upon my arrival I spotted Eren cleaning the inside with a shovel in hand.

"You're back." I said, walking my horse to an empty stall.

"Oh. H-Hey, Emily," He replied, a little shock in his voice.

"Captain has you cleaning again, huh?" I asked with a smile, closing the gate to the horse's stall.

"Heh, yeah..." he said, scratching the back of his neck.

"How did it go today?" I asked.

"Fine, I guess. It's a little confusing though... trying to remember positioning and whatnot," he sounded nervous, shrugging a little in the process.

"Don't worry, they seem intimidating on paper, but once you're actually doing it, it just kind of clicks. It did for me, at least. I've only done a few expeditions myself," I walked over to him and placed a hand on his shoulder, "You got this. They wouldn't have taken you out to actually practice otherwise!"