15. Northbound

Erwin's coup was a success and the pretend king was removed from the throne

Erwin's coup was a success and the pretend king was removed from the throne. Members of the Interior were taken into custody shortly afterward and a certain calmness fell over the capitol.

Erwin and myself, along with the other Scout members who were arrested that day, were released. I was given a temporary private room within the Interior's barracks. The same kind of room where military officers reside. I was in that prison cell for two days... two days without a bath or a meal.

It's clear where a lot of the military budget goes. The room I'm staying in is lavish and very clean. Green wallpaper with intricate golden floral detail covered the walls. The polished wood floors would give the smallest squeak with every step. A small private bathroom was attached; complete with a tub, sink, toilet, and shower.

I filled the tub with hot water, stripping myself of my dirty uniform that's been sitting in prison grime. I hissed as the fabric brushed against my thigh. My wound was still healing and the stitch work was not the best, but it works for now. I can't blame Mikasa for her stitches.

Lowering myself into the tub, I let out a content sigh. The heat felt good against my wound and I immediately felt relief. I made sure to scrub myself twice over to get squeaky clean and wash my hair in the process. The gash on my leg looked a lot better once it was cleaned. It wasn't a large gash; no more than six inches. The tail ends were begining to heal shut.

After combing my hair in place and brushing my teeth, I walked to the bedroom to dress in a new uniform. A fresh pressed set was waiting for me on the bed, complete with a new cloak and jacket. Getting dressed into the uniform was tedious but I managed. As I slipped the jacket on my shoulders, I heard a knock on the door.

"Yes?" I called out.

The door opened with a small creak and I was greeted by Erwin standing on the other side.

"Emily, we are riding out in a few hours," he said. His voice was authoritative and stern.

"Yes, sir," I replied.

"Report to the courtyard. Grab any supplies from here as you see fit. There will be ODM gear for you at the armory," he continued, turning to leave from the doorway. I nodded with a 'yes, sir' and finished putting on my boots as he left.

———

Night had fallen and the courtyard was hustling with several soldiers readying wagons and their horses. I was able to scrounge up some medical supplies from the infirmary, tucking them away into a satchel I carried on my side. It wasn't much, just some bandages, needle & thread, and ointments for different ailments.

I scanned the courtyard, looking at each soldier until I was able to find Erwin standing at the tall rod-iron gate. He was in a discussion with General Pyxis, who appeared to be walking away from Erwin. I made my way over to meet with Erwin.