twenty-eight (pt 4)

< Thursday >

{ Luke }

I held Carter's hand as we walked up to the entrance of Animal Kingdom. It was just me and him today. Taylor felt like absolute shit. She was going to come but I told her to stay and rest, plus if she is pregnant she can't ride any of the rides here.

Her possibly being pregnant does scare me a little. I wasn't ready to be a dad when Carter came into my life two years ago. Am I ready for this one? I don't know but I have to be.

"How about we go to the dinosaur area first?" I suggested as we scanned our bands and entered the park.

We got in line for one ride that I was questionable about taking Carter on to begin with. It was more intense, dark, and loud. It's a little scary too, but Carter wanted to go so I said yes and we got in the 45-minute line.

I picked Carter up and held him in front of me. He was looking all around before his eyes settle on mine,

"Is Mommy going to be okay?" he asked with so much concern,

"Yeah buddy. Mommy's tummy just feels yucky" I answered, "Sometimes your tummy feels yucky too and you stay in bed"

"Yeah. I just don't like Mommy sick" he sighed,

"I don't either buddy. But Mommy said if she starts feeling better she's going to meet us here"

His little eyes widened as we inched forward in line,

"We have to see Avatar! Mommy loves Avatar!"

"We will definitely show Mommy that"

****

We reached the front of the line and got on. We were in the same row as another dad and kid. Both kids were in the middle and the other dad and I were holding onto them even though they were buckled.

Let me just tell you, the whole ride Carter screamed. He hated it. The little boy next to him was screaming just as loud.

The ride came to a stop and we both walked off with our screaming toddlers,

"That may have been a bad dad move" the guy chuckled,

"Oh yeah," I agreed and went to sit down to calm Carter down,

"Buddy it's over. I'm sorry we went on that" I hugged him, letting him cry and hiccup into my shoulder,

"How about we go see the animals? That's not scary" I suggested. Carter sniffled but nodded and made me carry him.

We got in line for Kilimanjaro Safari and were with the same dad and kid from the dinosaur ride,

"Nice to see you again" he laughed and shook my hand, "Matt"

"Luke" I nodded the kids started talking,

"The dinos were scary," Matt's son told Carter,

"I know. I didn't like it"

"Yeah bad move on our part" Matt laughed,

"He wanted to go so we went. I warned him before" I laughed back, "Just you guys?"

"Nah. My wife took our older kids on the big rides. Lil guy here can't quite do that" he nodded, "You?"

"My girlfriend is at the hotel. She wasn't feeling too good today"

We stepped onto the ride and sat with Matt and his son again. But as soon as we started, both kids were trying to stand up to see the animals,

"Daddy like Raffy!" Carter squealed when we saw the giraffes,

"He is like Raffy, but Raffy is a lot smaller isn't he?"

"Yeah. Raffy is cuddly and tiny like me"

"I have a monkey" Matt's son spoke up,

"Really!" Carter grinned, "Daddy I need to get a monkey"

"You have a monkey" I laughed, "Remember, Uncle Ash got it for you"

"Oh yeah" he giggled, "I'm so silly. I forgotted"

****

Just as we sat down to eat lunch, my phone buzzed with a text from Taylor:

-messages-

Tay❤️: [ I'm on my way.
Meet by Avatar? ]

[ Sure! Car and I are eating
lunch right now ]

Tay❤️: [ Got ya! See you
soon. I love you ]

[ I love you ]

————

"Hurry up and eat. Mommy's on her way" I told Carter. All he could do was grin.

"All done" he spoke a few seconds later. I cleared our trash then we walked towards Pandora.

I think Carter is equally excited. Taylor's gotten him hooked on Avatar.

****

Taylor came into view and Carter hugged her before I hugged her and pecked her lips,

"You feel okay?" I asked,

"Yeah. It just lasts a little bit. I'm okay" she promised. I nodded and watched her pick Carter up,

"Daddy took me on a scary ride" he pouted,

"He did? That wasn't nice" she teased as she looked at me,

"Yeah yeah. I'm a bad dad. Do you want to see Avatar?" I laughed.

That's all it took for Taylor to walk into the area.

Taylor was in awe. It's one of her favorite movies so she was pretty happy, but she wasn't so happy she couldn't go on the virtual ride, but she could go on the boat ride so we got in line for that.

While we waited, Carter told Taylor what all we had done so far. I think Taylor was a little sad she wasn't here, but she can't help that.

We got on and Taylor held Carter close to her. Since we figured out she could possibly be pregnant, she's definitely held Carter a little closer. She's constantly hugging him, holding him, kissing his head. I don't know if she thinks he'll be upset or what.

After we got off, Carter asked if we could go back to the hotel and go swimming. We agreed since we've done everything he can do here.

****

Carter's pool time was cut short when it started to storm, so we retreated to our room, took showers and baths, ordered some dinner, and got in bed to watch a movie.

"Did you have fun bubby?" Taylor asked Carter who was all curled up in her side,

"Yeah this was super fun" he nodded, "Can we come again?"

"Yeah, we can come again. Maybe when you get a little bigger so you can ride everything" I told him,

"I can't wait" he yawned, slowly falling asleep.