Ch. Twenty-Three | Rage, Rejection, Regret

[E:✔️]

"I fucking hate you, Niall! Did you seriously not know?"

"Harry, you know I would never if I did! He seemed like a good guy."

Niall and Harry were currently fighting near the bathrooms in the back of the school during lunch.

"Well, I don't know about you, but someone who comments on my scars and calls me easy isn't charming, or nice, or anything I'd ever want."

"Then date Mr. Tomlinson," Niall leaned in, seething, "You're so fucking obsessed with him. Ever since Monday, ever since you called me about Nick and said Mr. Tomlinson drove you home it's always him. "Him" this and "him" that. Fuck you!"

Niall's face stung, body recoiling, and it took a second before he realized why; Harry had just slapped him. Hard. "At least I'm not pinning after a guy who will never be interested!"

"You bloody bastard," Niall screamed at Harry, "I figured you'd never want a real relationship anyway." Harry gasped stumbling back, hurt filling his eyes along with tears. "Shit," Niall shouted, running over to his friend, all the anger he was just feeling disappearing into worry and regret, "I'm so sorry, Harry, I didn't mean-I know you don't feel that way, I'm so sorry, I didn't mean it," he tried getting Harry to look at him. When Harry finally gave up being pissy and they made genuine eye contact, Niall blushed, "I know you didn't mean it," Harry sniffled just a bit. "You're right, though," he shifted a bit, looking down at his feet and biting his lip. "About what, Haz," Niall asked softly, patting his friend's back. "Mr. Tomlinson."

"Oh," Niall frowns, staring at the side of Harry's face after he turned away. His eyes widened, "Oh...you have a crush on him?"

Harry thought for a second before shrugging, "That's the thing. Remember when you asked me how I really felt about him and all that?"

Niall nodded, hearing Harry's voice waver and crack. "You never gotta finish what you were gonna say," he shifted on his feet, "You said you noticed something?"

"Ah," the blue-eyed lad nods in understanding. "Right, I just noticed sometimes he looks at you like...God, I dunno. I don't want you thinking I'm adding fuel to the fire but," he sighs as they walk back out into the hallway. Luckily nobody was there. Unluckily the bell rang and their classroom was about a four minutes' walk since they were towards the back of the building on the bottom floor. Luckily Niall was a good liar.

"Just go on."

"He looks at you like you're special to him, Haz. Even when you two were being stupid and yelling at each other because you're a stubborn little prick sometimes-"

"Hey!"

"-he looks at you like he wants to see you do better, or be better. Like there's hope in his eyes, man!"

Harry nodded, humming thoughtfully. "Well, maybe you're right. Somehow you know shit people don't. Maybe you should use that to get a job, lad," Harry smiled at Niall, who returned the fond gesture. "Should I talk to him?"

"You know teachers and students can't be personal, it's wrong. You know that, right," Niall frowns as they walk up the stairs. Harry nods sadly. Then Niall smirks, leaning in. Harry's breath hitches, "But you know I can keep a secret!"

"I love you, Ni," Harry pats his friend's head, giggling.

Like they didn't just have an argument. Niall was sorry, though, Harry supposed. He wouldn't do anything like that again, would he? (Niall really needed to stop involving himself in Harry's love life).

—————————

"Nice to see everyone again. Hope everyone's break was-oh," Louis turned his head, watching as Harry and Niall walked in, Niall's arm slung around the taller boy's shoulders, giggling. He cleared his throat, stomach turning. Niall's arm went to his side, and Louis felt strangely relieved. "So sorry, sir, Niall and I got in a scrap. With some blokes at lunch, I mean," Harry drops his head, shoving his hands in his front jeans pockets. Just saying what Niall told him to say. "I see. You're six minutes late. I expect an explanation after class, from either one of you, or even better, the both of you."