Chapter 48

Chapter 48 is dedicated to gucciisfineline and julesrobs05 and niveditaadsul5

Thank you for your support ❤
-----------------------------------------------------------

Isabelle's letter to Dorothy (20 years ago)
----------------------------------------------------------

My dearest Dorothy,

How are you? I hope everything is well back home. It feels like ages since I've seen you although it's only been a few months. I really miss the ducks by the pond. I promise to call home more often after you get this letter.

I know everyone at home is worried, but let me put your hearts at ease. I'm perfectly fine. I haven't fallen down a rabbit hole or anything- at least not yet. In fact, I'm spending most of my time reading poems by Lewis Carroll and indulging in the works of Jane Austen and Charlotte Brontë.

The reason I'm writing to you is to tell you of something very important that's happened. You might want to take a seat. You see, I'm pregnant. Please don't faint and keep reading.

Yes, I really do have a child on the way! It's hard to believe, isn't it? I hope you can pass this message on to our family for me. But what I'm about to tell you next should remain in absolute secrecy. I know you can keep a secret, so I'm trusting you with mine.

I've met a man that is so unlike all the others I've encountered. He has the perfect face of an angel and a chiseled body sculpted by a master craftsman. And his eyes... It's hard to describe them, but they're like topaz jewel stones that shine as bright as evening stars.

But it was not his physical attractiveness that made me interested in him, but his uniqueness. He has a charming soul that sparks within him like embers of fire. His mind is a cavern of immense intelligence. He is very knowledgeable and courteous and I can talk with him about every topic under the sun. From literature to politics, ancient languages to geography, sports to music. Time slips away so quickly when we're together.

He is a man shrouded in a cloak of mystery and he carries dark secrets that even I know nothing about. There is a hint of danger in his eyes. But it is the mystery that pulls me to him. He is like a man straight out of a novel. He's also claims to be a descendant of royalty and often speaks about restoring his family's former glory. His name is Lucas.

I'm not sure if there is a future for us, because I cannot love him in the way that he might want. But I don't have a problem with that. I'd rather not get married at all. Anyways, for your sake, I won't say too much about him. Please guard this information and keep his identity a secret. It was his only request. I entrust you with our secret in case anything is to happen to me.

Now, back to my pregnancy. I've been eating spicy foods and brainstorming baby names. If it's a girl, I want to name her Elizabeth. I've been reading Pride and Prejudice and I've grown fond of the name. It's also our mum's middle name, so I think she'll like it. It's timeless and elegant, don't you think? If it's a boy, then Ellis. I find it to be a very strong and reliable name, just like his father is. I'm excited for twins too! I find myself saying Elizabeth more though, so it might be a girl.

My biggest problem is King Caden. I'm convinced that man was sent straight from hell to torment our family. As you've seen in the news, their newest child, Prince Ashton, was born just a few months ago, so I'm concerned that he will try to make our children sign the betrothal contract. When he finds out that I'm pregnant, he'll start the preparations for a betrothal. I won't tolerate him dictating my child's life. Elizabeth or Ellis must decide for themselves whether they want to marry or not.

My baby will be born in December or maybe early January. I'll be home before then. I know our parents will forgive me for this, but our grandmother cares far too much about tradition. There is not much on Earth that scares me half as much as she does. She still holds a grudge from the time I came out as aromantic and now that I'm having a child outside of marriage, her grudge will only be stronger. I love her with all my heart, but I don't like doing things the traditional way. There is adventure in freedom, and that's the life I prefer.

Anyways, that's all I want to say for now. I can't wait for you to meet your little niece or nephew! Get rid of this letter if you'd like; the king can never find out about Lucas or he could be in danger. If you do decide to keep it, hide it well, and if anything happens to me, show it to my dear child so they can know a little about their father.

Elizabeth, Ellis, if you're reading this, I love you with all my heart! I hope you're living a life that makes you happy. Your father loves you too, and one day, if you'd like to meet him, he'll return.

With all my love,
Isabelle
----------------------------------------------------------

Hey lovelies! Thanks for reading!

Did Isabelle's letter reveal anything interesting about Elizabeth's father?

What could be the reason for the secrecy surrounding his identity?

Will Lucas ever return to meet his daughter?

Leave a comment and a vote❤
See you in the next chapter!