Chapter 27

Chapter 27 is dedicated to birdybox12 and MochaBerryy and VitoniAchumi

Thank you for your support ❤
-----------------------------------------------------------

Malekh drew closer to us with slow, deliberate strides. He was confident that we were could pose no real threat to him. Perhaps his surety stemmed from Cyrena's ability to see the future.

If it came down to a physical fight, there wouldn't be much I could do. I didn't have the ability to conjure up sharp nails and teeth like they could. Were we even allowed to harm Malekh? He was the king of the Spade Kingdom, and unlike his father, he had the full support of his people. A war would be unavoidable.

CaVaughn glanced at me, perhaps estimating how fast I'd be able to run. He sighed. Apparently not fast enough. He kept me safely behind him and focused his attention on the biggest obstacle in front of us.

Malekh stopped a feet away from us, fixing his dark gaze on CaVaughn. "I see you're still unable to shift."

"I didn't realize."

"And you're still annoyingly sarcastic. I was hoping you would come," he murmured, taking another step closer to us.

CaVaughn's eyes narrowed at that. "Me?"

"Yes. It would have been a waste if you weren't here."

We both froze, as his words registered. Jun's hunch was right- Malekh had been looking for someone. And if Jun had known that Cyrena could actually predict the future, it would have made things a lot clearer for him. Our plan had already failed. Jackson had been right in front of us and yet we had lost him.

Despair was already starting to creep into my heart. We had come this far and we still couldn't get to him. But now wasn't the time to think about that. We had to figure out how to get away from Malekh. Maybe I could distract him until Jun got here.

I began to step out from behind CaVaughn, but he firmly pushed me back, not breaking eye contact with Malekh, and shook his head.

"I can make you stronger," Malekh continued. His voice was light, but eyes held an obscure gleam. "It's possible that you'll be able to shift too... but we'll have to wait and see. In about a week, if you survive it."

CaVaughn took a cautionary step back, as Malekh's eyes danced with intrigue. In a flash, he was over to us. I gasped as he reached behind CaVaughn for me, but CaVaughn quickly countered by pushing me away and sliding himself in the space between Malekh and where I had been standing.

Malekh smiled and I felt as if something extremely bad was about to happen.

"Let me enlighten you, old friend," he said, throwing a hand around CaVaughn's shoulder. He whispered something into his ear that I was too low for me to hear and CaVaughn's eyes widened in dire disbelief.

Before I even had the chance to process what was happening next, CaVaughn let out a loud pain filled shout. He tried to push Malekh away from him, but Malekh's power was on a different level and he didn't budge an inch.

I rushed to his side, but he pushed me away from him. "R-Run!" he grunted, barely able to speak.

Malekh's head was buried in his neck. My heart pounded in my chest and I was too frozen to move as drops of blood fell onto the ground. Malekh raised his head and our eyes connected, but before I could blink, he was gone. CaVaughn collapsed onto the floor and I rushed to his side.