Epilogue | Calypso

"Calypso, get your ass in here!"

"I'm coming!" I started to make my way down to where my friends were.

"THE COUNTDOWN IS IN LIKE, FIVE MINUTES!" Piper yelled into the microphone she'd gotten as a gift. I will always despise Leo for getting that for her Christmas present.

"Hey, babe." Leo wrapped his arms around my waist and kissed me.

Ha... Forget what I just said.

Leo and I had been dating for only a few weeks, but Leo was definitely taking advantage of the fact we were together. That meant random gifts, sweet remarks, romantic gestures, all of that.

I could ready tell I made the right choice.

"Would you like to let go of me so we can get to everyone else?" I pretended to be annoyed, but on the inside my heart felt like it would explode out of my chest. He unraveled his arms and pointed up at the ceiling, smirking. "What?" I looked up to where he was pointing and was greeted by a mistletoe. "Why is that still there? Christmas was, like, a week ago!"

"Does it matter?" I looked at him skeptically. "Pucker up, Sunshine." Leo grabbed my waist and pulled me into a kiss. The gesture that was supposed to be sweet and savorable was quickly cut short when someone ran into the room.

"CALYPSO I SAID-" Leo and I broke apart when Silena ran through the doorway. "Oh!" She said, slowly backing out. "Sorry, I didn't mean to- I wasn't-"

"It's fine. Come on, Leo." I dragged Leo out of the room and joined the rest of our friends on the balcony.

"2 MINUTES LEFT UNTIL THE NEW YEAR!" Piper yelled into her microphone. 

Jason winced and covered his ears. "Can't you turn that down?"

"Yeah... but I don't want to."

Leo and I were standing near the balcony's railing, looking out at the city. I felt Leo's arm wrap around me. "What?"

"I'm not allowed to wrap my arm around you?" I rolled my eyes and kissed his cheek.

"You're so clingy."

"I am not!"

"Whatever, Valdez."

"1 MINUTE!" Piper yelled.

I frowned back at her. "Did you have to get her that, Leo."

"I think it's an amazing gift! Well, not nearly as amazing as your's." He winked at me, and I tried to hide my red face in the dark. For Christmas, Leo had gotten me an entire gardening set, full of tools, pots, and seeds. Even better, he made them himself. The best part of it, however, was that one of the plants he gave me was a mistletoe. Classic Leo.

"It was one of the best gifts I've ever received. Thank you."

"You've only thanked me like 10 times already!"

"I'm very grateful! Not only for the gift, but for you, too."

"Right back at you, Sunshine." My heart did a little dance when I heard the name he called me. It was something he'd been doing forever, but for some reason it had an even greater affect on me now that we were dating.

"20 SECONDS!" Piper called. Everyone looked to the TV and started counting down.

I turned to look at Leo. "I want to start the new year off right."

"10!"

He looked down at me. "And how would you do that?"

"9!"

"You have something to do with it."

"8!"

"Do I?"

"7! 6!"

I rolled my eyes and wrapped my arms around his neck. "Can I?"

"5! 4! 3! 2!"

"Why would I say no?"

"1! HAPPY NEW YEAR!"

I leaned in, and Leo and my lips crashed together. We pulled each other closer- his hands on my back and mine on his neck. I felt him smile against me, and I instantly started laughing. I couldn't remember a time when I'd ever been so happy.

He pulled me back into the kiss, and life felt better than ever.

I was starting a new year and a new time in my life, and it was all going to happen with a new love in my life.

----------------

"I'm going to kill you." Leo was dragging me down a hill.

"No you won't, you love me."

"Whatever." I pouted. He stopped, took my hand, and kissed it. "What are we doing here?"

He hadn't let go of my hand. "Remember that time in the theater when-"

"The stars? Leo, how could I forget?"

"Well, here it is- except, it's real." I looked up, and stars crowded my view. 

"Leo, this is so sweet. Thank you."

"You always thank me!" He laughed and shook his head. "Just enjoy the moment. Its reassuring enough to know you're here." He laid on the grass and patted next to him.

"I'll get dirty!"

"It'll be worth it, I promise." I sighed and laid down next to him on the grass. "Thank you for always trusting me."

"Thank you for having faith in me and allowing me to feel free." He threw me his signature grin and turned to look back up at the stars. I did the same. 

"What do you think comes after this?" I looked over to him.

"We graduate, go to college, get married, have chil-"

"Leo!" I hit his arm and he laughed. "I mean for us."

"But all of that involves the two of us?"

"Everything after getting married is a lot bigger than you may think."

"I'm sure I can handle it. That is, if you're with me."

I laced my fingers through his. "Always."

The rest of the night was spent looking up at the stars, pointing out constellations, telling entertaining stories, and trying to sing Disney duets.

I felt at peace. I could trust myself to fall asleep, begin to drift into a dream. The dream was taking place right now. And I did not not want to wake up.

-------------------

big speech next chapter 😭