Calypso

Sunday finally arrived. My mother had spent the entire night before cleaning up our home. "You know.... it's just Dad."

"And my mother." Zoë pointed out.

"Zoë's right," my mother dashed around, dusting already clean surfaces. "Pleione is extremely judgemental."

"I thought her opinion didn't matter to you?"

She laughed dryly. "If she thinks I'm a slob she'll go gossiping about me, Zoë. I would like a nice reputation."

Zoë and I giggled. "What, you're scared that one day you'll visit Greece- which is across the globe- and people will laugh at you on the streets?"

Zoë snorted. "Ew, there's that American slob whose couch's pillows weren't the same size!"

She glared at us and we shut up. "Go to bed, ladies. You have an important day ahead of you."

"Not important, but okay." Zoë mumbled.

We said goodnight to our mother, and went to bed.

-------------

I woke up rather early the next day. I put on a red sweater with a black skirt. On my feet I wore white sneakers.

Zoë decided to take a different approach, and just decided to sport her pajamas from the day prior.

"Zoë," my mother started. She was wearing a blue sweater with dark blue jeans. Her caramel hair fell down hair back, swaying with every movement. "Don't you want to wear something else?"

"Nope." She sang. "Are they coming soon?"

My mother looked down at her watch. "Actually, they should be here any second n-" The sound of a doorbell interrupted her sentence. "Go put the food on the table and then quickly meet me at the door. And do not say anything snappy." She turned and went downstairs.

Zoë and I set out the food and made our way to the house's entrance. Standing there with my mother were my father and stepmother. "Girls!" My father exclaimed.

I immediately hugged him. "I've missed you so much!"

"Right back at you, kid." He let go of me and I looked at my stepmother.

"Pleione-"

"Hello to you too, Calypso."

"I was just about to say that."

"Well you didn't, did you?"

I bite back some choice words and put on a smile. "It's been a long time, I hope things have been well for you."

"Hm."

My father groaned at our conversation and turned to Zoë. "Hello, Zoë."

"Hi." She stood where she was, looking at the floor.

"Just hi?" Pleione crossed her arms. "Be respectful- we came all the way to see you! Well, at least I did. Did you think I would come all the way just to se a daughter that isn't even mine? Gods, and what are you wearing?" She looked her up and down. "You're making Tethys and Calypso look good, darling."

Zoë rolled her eyes. "You're making Dad seem tolerable."

The room fell silent. She glared at Zoë but she didn't budge.