42. Forgiveness

In the morning, I woke up alone and went through my usual morning routine of breakfast and bullshit. I got to take Camaro out again for her walk while it lightly snowed outside. Doing my best to forget my fear of wild animals, I looked around to appreciate the view of the mountains surrounding us. It was beyond beautiful, and I wondered what everything looked like in the spring or summer, or even the fall. I wondered how often we could come back here, but what use was that if I was confined to one room all the time and didn't even get to explore the town. I doubted Darren would take me out now. I was such a fuck-up.

After lunch, I put my hair up in a clip and gave Camaro her first bath since she had decided to dig through the snow and got herself covered in muddy snow. Worse. Idea. Ever. I had never given a dog a bath, and I had no clue that it would involve me basically taking a bath with her. I was glad I was at least smart enough to cover my arm with plastic wrap to keep the soapy puppy water from touching it. At first, she was afraid of the water, but once she got used to it, she wouldn't stop splashing around and playing in it. She wouldn't sit still while I scrubbed her fur clean with the puppy soap, and she made the biggest fucking mess every time she shook the water from her fur.

Once I felt she was clean enough, I turned off the mobile showerhead, and Camaro shook more water from her fur. I tried to block it with a towel, but she still managed to get more of it on the tiled walls behind the tub. Picking her up with the towel, I knelt on the floor and rubbed the towel up and down her little body while she fussed and whined. I let her go for a moment so I could plug in my hair dryer to finish the drying process, but by the time I turned back around, she was already chewing on the door to the walk-in shower.

"Goddammit, Camaro, stop that!" I yelled at her, bending down to pick her up.

That was when I felt a swift hard smack on my ass. Jolting upward and turning with the fist of my good arm ready to connect in the air, it was met with the tight grip of a very large, warm hand. My heart beating out of my chest from surprise and my ass pulsing with heat, I turned to find Darren standing behind me, holding my wrist in place with a very stern look on his face. I felt myself blanch. I hadn't even heard him come in.

"What are my rules, Jaden?" he asked calmly, but his face was anything but.

I bit my tongue so hard then.

"No cussing," I answered on a quiet breath.

Darren took a few steps toward me, his tight grip still on my wrist, and I couldn't stop myself from retreating from his advance.

"Just because I'm not around does not mean this rule doesn't apply."

I felt myself begin to shake inside, fear coursing up my spine as I tried to find my voice to plead for his forgiveness.

"I know. I'm sorry. It slipped," I said cautiously.

He took another step closer, his dark blue eyes glowering down at me and making me feel small. I could feel my core contract with need as heat and fear filled it up.

"And what do you think I need to do to ensure you no longer 'slip'?" he asked darkly.

I gulped. I did not want to recommend a punishment for myself. That was way too fucking embarrassing.

"I... I don't know."

He sighed, and it almost sounded like disappointment.

"If you can't seem to control that smart mouth of yours, maybe I should elect not to take you into the city today."

I looked up at him both confused and surprised.

"You were going to take me into the city today?"