21. Unwelcome Home

A small bout of turbulence shook the plane, dragging me from my thoughts and causing me to grip the arms of the chair. Darren remained unconcerned as he rested his chin in his hand, his eyes still focused on the screen of his laptop. He was watching something, and by the looks of it, he didn't like what he saw. His jaw was clenched, his eyes cold and narrow, clearly deep in thought. Something was going on; something he wasn't telling me, something he wouldn't tell me.

An announcement came over the speakers, declaring we were about to land. I looked out my window to find the approaching runway up ahead, excitement and nervousness mixing in my stomach. I could see Darren in my peripherals as he shut the laptop in obvious irritation and placed it in a bag by his seat. A few moments later, my body experienced the change in elevation, the pressure fluctuating before we finally hit the ground. I didn't know anything about landings, but it felt smooth.

When the plane finally came to a stop, the engines cut out, but my nerves increased. When the door was finally opened and the stairs released, Darren stood and escorted me out of the plane. Nodding at the pilot and co-pilot in obvious thank you, Darren led me down the stairs where we were greeted by three black BMWs and about six men dressed in black. They waited by the cars, their hands neatly placed in front of them, their blank expressions hindered behind dark sunglasses.

Darren kept a firm grip on my shoulder as he walked us to the middle car where one of his men opened the door for me.

"Sir," he said with a nod of acknowledgment to Darren.

Scooting inside, Darren followed me in, watching as I buckled my seat belt and turned my head to stare out the window. Moments later, more doors slammed shut, the car took off, and we were in motion. As I watched the outside pass by, I realized even though I'd been with Darren for the past five months, this was only the second time I'd been in a vehicle with him. I was grateful he allowed me to sit in the seat like a human being, instead of between his legs on the floor.

Darren ignored me for virtually the entire drive, which lasted about an hour. He spent most of his time typing away on his phone, and I was fine with that. The more shit that occupied his time, the better. At least then, I wouldn't have to deal with him.

Now that I'd been outside the estate, I couldn't help but smile as we passed through the small town to get to Darren's estate. The corners of my mouth curved as I remembered speeding off down the road on his Ducati, giving his men and the pocketed police department a run for their money.

"Something amusing?" Darren asked.

I smirked and casually pointed out the window. "I popped a wheelie on your bike right... there." I grinned, pointing to the exact spot as we drove by. "Pretty sure I scared the shit out of one of your guys." It was probably a bad idea to poke fun at the idea of my successful escape, but he was the one who asked.

When I turned my head back to Darren, the look he gave me was positively deadly. I gulped back my regret.

"Well, I hope it was enjoyable because you will never ride another motorcycle like that again," he said sharply.

I shook my head in disappointment. "You're wasting my talents," I said, turning my head back to the window.

"Excuse me?" Darren quipped, anger beginning to rise in his voice.

I exhaled a deep breath. "Penguins can't fly, but if you were to see one do it, you wouldn't try to stop it, now would you?"

Darren cocked an eyebrow, but I could tell he wanted me to elaborate.

"Guns, motorcycles, fighting? Not many girls come with the skills that I have. In your line of work, you're better off exploiting them than burying them."