17. Ready

"Maybe it's your weight distribution. Ya know, from one foot to the next?"

I shook my head. "No, it's more than that. I'm not raising my knees high enough for the lift. That's what ensures the height."

Holly and I currently had our legs strapped around thick tree trunks while our upper bodies ached and trembled to hold our remaining upper body weight up. We'd been doing sit-ups earlier, and now, we were resting to see who could hold it the longest while discussing why my butterfly kicks lacked the height they usually did.

"I don't know; you're the expert. Maybe you just need more spring in your step," she said, her voice strained behind clenched teeth. She was sweating, but she was doing well. My arms were casually folded in front of me as I fought to hold my weight up. My core was burning, but I loved the pain. No pain, no gain.

A few seconds later, I heard the sound of a boat approaching and looked over to see Darren and Scott pulling into the docks with a few of Darren's men. It was then that Holly gave out.

"Okay, I quit." She gasped in pain as she clutched the tree with her arms to drop her legs. She immediately collapsed on the ground, clutching her core. "You win."

I held my position as I watched Darren climb off the boat and walk across the docks, his eyes suddenly catching mine when he looked over. I could suddenly no longer take the burn. I was low enough to the ground to bend down backward and place my hands on the ground. Releasing my grip of the tree with my legs, I folded backward with a kick over, landing on my feet and into a standing position.

"Show off," Holly muttered under her breath. I smirked as I watched Darren enter the house with Scott at his side. They were in a deep discussion over something. I was a little surprised I hadn't been warned of his pending arrival, but maybe he just didn't want me to know.

"I'll see you later, Holly," I called out as I took off in a jog. I needed to see Darren. I didn't just want to do my part and thank him for the Thanksgiving dinner; I also wanted to tell him I was finally ready to leave the island. Holly had already said it. I'd fully recovered, so there was no longer any need for me to be here. And the longer I was here with her, the more she would continue to dig, and I needed to put a stop to that.

Heading into the house, Hank and Blondie followed me while I headed straight for Darren's office. I knew that was the first place he'd go. Just when the door was in sight, I felt a hand grab my arm and pulled me back into a halt.

"Whoa," warned Hank. "Where do you think you're going?"

"I need to speak to him," I argued as I yanked my arm from his grasp.

"We've received orders he is not to be disturbed. He's very busy."

I looked at him incredulously. "But... it's me."

"You are no exception. Mr. Davis will see you at dinner. It can wait until then."

"But it's important."

"Sure, it is, kid. Now, let's go," Hank said, rolling his eyes and tugging me away from the door.

Did he just call me kid?

Hanks escorted me down the hall and away from Darren's office. Obviously, he didn't want me pacing in front of the door so I could catch Darren when he left. Dinner was still hours away, so what the fuck was I supposed to do with my time then?

I opted for some bag time in the gym to distract me from my agitation. After fifteen minutes of slamming my fists into the fucking thing, Holly came in.

"There you are," she said out of breath like she'd been running. "Where did you go?"

"I went to talk to Darren."