14. Remember

"That's it, Jaden. Just five more. Come on, push it."

Sweat dripped down my face as I pushed for the last set of thirty inverted sit-ups. Holly and I had been working on my physical therapy in Darren's gym for the last hour, and I made damn sure she challenged me at every angle.

After I was finished with the set, I grabbed the metal bar I was hanging upside down from and flipped myself over, landing perfectly on the floor. It had been another two weeks, and I was feeling stronger than ever. My muscle mass had grown, my four-pack finally visible again, and I was feeling better than ever. I'd even somehow managed to stay on Darren's good side due to my lack of attitude. Since I was getting better, exercising, and breaking past my limits, I was happier. I still wasn't back to my old 100 percent, though. A few things were missing.

When Holly and I were finished, I couldn't help but stare longingly at the heavy bags on the other side of the room. I could almost hear them begging me to lay into them... and I wanted to really badly. Tentatively, I walked over to the bag and threw a reverse sidekick, landing it perfectly and sending the bag back a good few feet.

"Holy shit!" Holly cried out in excitement. "How did you do that? That was so cool!"

I grimaced. "It was slow."

"Are you kidding me? If I'd have blinked, I would have missed it!"

"You would have missed it even if you hadn't," I replied. That's how fast I was supposed to be. Fuck, I had so much work to do.

"I knew it! You are some kind of fighter, aren't you?"

I scoffed. "Was," I said blankly, walking away from the bag.

"What do you mean 'was'?"

"I don't exactly practice anymore."

"Well, what's stopping you?" she asked me.

I fucking straight up laughed. About a million things were stopping me, but I couldn't tell Holly that. So, I lied somewhat.

"Injuries, plus I don't have any of my gear," I replied with a shrug.

"Well, maybe we can get Mr. Davis to get you your gear."

I chuckled again. "Good luck with that."

"Why? You don't think he would?"

"I'd be very surprised if he did."

Holly suddenly squared her shoulders, wearing a big smile on her face. "I'll talk to him. I'll convince him it's part of your therapy."

"Don't lie to him, Holly. It's not a good idea," I warned.

"It's not a lie," she said reassuringly. "I really do want to incorporate it into your therapy. I think it'll be really good for you."

"If you say so."

"I do." She smiled. "Now, let's go for a swim."

I doubted Holly would be able to crack Darren. I doubted he wanted me in fighting condition ever again. He might want me strong and durable, but that didn't mean I could throw kicks at his head anymore. I wouldn't be fighting him anytime soon—at least not hand-to-hand combat. I'd have to find some kind of advantage over him, but first, I needed to get him to let his guard down around me. In order to do that, I had to stop fighting him.

But sure to Holly's word and much to my shock and confusion, there was a pair of hot pink boxing gloves with gold tiara prints on them, pink wraps, and my old iPod sitting on the leather couch in the gym. I rolled my eyes at the color and pattern of the gloves, but I could deal with it. At least, I finally had a pair!