11. Push

Darren's hands crept up to my face, his thumbs tracing along my cheeks as he stared down at me. Cold blue fell into me while heat traveled along my face. I could feel that stare of his—so sharp, so penetrating—all the way down to my bones. It made my stomach tighten and my heart flutter.

Darren's lips curved into a smirk before he bent down and kissed my forehead. He then released my face and took hold of the knot of his tie, his eyes never leaving mine. After loosening the tie, he enveloped the dark gray fabric around his hand and gently spun me away from him. A small gasp of panic escaped my lips as he then wrapped the tie around my eyes and tied it behind my head, essentially blindfolding me.

"Darren, what are you doing?" I griped, my hands rising automatically as if to defend myself against some unknown threat, but Darren just quickly enclosed them in each of his fists.

"Shhh," he whispered into my ear, bringing our fists closer to my chest. "Come with me."

I felt fear rise throughout my body, my blood rushing and my heart racing as Darren began to lead me through the house. I didn't like this. Not one fucking bit. I didn't like to have to rely on his guidance to maneuver me through the house to God knew where. I fucking hated that he had once again forcefully increased my vulnerability.

My fists tightened in his hold as he pressed me forward. My feet remained on the tiled floor while I tried to focus on where he was leading me. Eventually, we stopped, and Darren released my hands to pull the blindfold away. I blinked several times to adjust to the light before my eyes to finally settled on my painting. I took an immediate step away from it only to have my retreat blocked by the wall of a man behind me.

"Tell me about this," Darren ordered, his hand gesturing to my painting.

I folded my arms in a huff. "No thanks," I said and turned to walk away, but his hands wrapped around my arms and hauled me back to him.

"I wasn't asking, Jaden," he growled.

"I don't want to talk about it."

"You should know by now that I am done caring about what you want."

On a scowl, I quickly turned in his arms and shoved him away from me. I mostly ended up pushing myself away, but he did take a small step back.

"Then maybe I should just be done caring about myself altogether!" I shouted at him.

"Jaden," he warned, those dark eyes threatening and domineering as he took a step toward me. I couldn't help but take one step back, my heart rate now spiking.

"Don't!" I yelled, pointing my finger at him because that was the smart thing to do. "Don't push me on this, Darren. You might be ready for that can of worms, but I'm not," I argued, now pointing at the painting behind me.

"I disagree, which is exactly why I'm going to push you, princess," he said dangerously, taking another step. He was approaching me as if I was some kind of wounded animal, ready to pounce at any second. And I was ready to flee.

"You know I'll just push back," I replied, eyeing him carefully.

"You'll fight me for as long as you can, but you know how that ends."

"Shut up," I spat, my fists clenching at my sides. I could feel my knuckles going white.

"You painted some dark shit, Jaden. Own up to it," he said, his voice deadly calm as he continued to slowly advance. My heart was pounding out of my chest as I felt the adrenaline begin to course through my veins. Things were about to get very bad.

"Of course, it's dark, you asshole! I'm surrounded by nothing but darkness!"

"I'm very aware of what surrounds you, Jaden. Maybe it's time you stop fighting it and start embracing it."