16

[Chapter sixteen]

"They felt neither the cool night, nor the cold stone, nor the damp ground, nor the wet grass; they looked at each other, and their hearts were full of thought. They had clasped hands, without knowing it."
Victor Hugo- Les Misérables

——➰——

Seungmin whined silently as he took care of his new bruises, knowing his stomach, which wasn't yet clear from the ones his dad had left there a week ago, would be completely black again the day after. He tried to contain his tears, thinking back at the time he got beaten up that day.

He winced as he treated a cut on his forehead, not daring to look in the mirror, afraid of how his face would be.

He sighed as he finally finished, plopping onto his bed and curling up in a ball, not understanding if he was hungry or just in pain, but knowing he would not be eating anyway.

His breath hitched at the knock on his door, his father's voice on the other side, muttering something about irresponsibility and not worth it.

The irony.

Seungmin kept his eyes closed until he gave up, shouting a random word as he entered the next room, the door almost breaking in the process.

Seungmin let his breath out and covered himself up to the neck, snuggling on the covers and himself, missing the warmth his life used to have.

Now everything was cold, ever since his mom had died, Seungmin knew nothing else but cold.

And yet, his hand still felt somewhat warm after holding Hyunjin's.

——➰——

At that same exact time, Hyunjin groaned and buried his head in his hands, midnight close and his head still empty.

He had so much to say, but nothing to write. Every time he started a letter, it seemed weird, pointless, he needed to write about something he liked or cared about, but he couldn't think about anything that could be particularly interesting for the stranger to read. He also kind of wanted to ask them for their gender but it would probably be rude.

Hyunjin took a deep breath and closed his eyes.

What did he have to say? What had been on his mind lately?

His eyes shot open suddenly, his hand flying to the pen, and hovering over the white paper.

Maybe it was a bad idea.

He shook his head, but still wrote the letter.

——➰——

"Jisung? You're friends with Seungmin, right?", Hyunjin pulled the younger's hood, making him stay behind.

"Yes, need something?", the guy smiled at him.

"Yeah, actually, we have project today but he hasn't been to school in...", the taller hesitated. "Two days now."

Jisung seemed to think for a while.

"I don't know about him, Innie is the one who actually speaks to him outside of school, we haven't grown that close yet." Jisung pouted. "He's a really hard one. But maybe you should check on him, he might be waiting for you to do the project."

"Maybe.", Hyunjin rubbed his temples as the shorter kept going his way. "Maybe.", he repeated, for literally no one but himself.