The Werewolf in the Basement ~27

Annabelle's POV:

I stood there in the bedroom leaning on Rain and looked at the four giant wolves that were by the door. Their heads were bowed and they looked nervous. I had no idea what was going on with them, I've never seen them act so strangely.

I decided to make the first move and walk towards them since they showed no signs of moving.

I saw them tense as I took a step and then Rain tense in response. I knew as a wolf that his instincts were stronger and he was more nervous when people were near, even other wolves. He seemed a lot more protective, as back at the pack he wouldn't let anyone near me if I was afraid or just nervous.

I ignored all of them and kept walking. I mean I knew our dorm mates wouldn't hurt us because they had so many chances and chose not to. 

I stopped when I was within two feet from them and slowly sat on the floor, ignoring the pain from my ribs. I looked up at the three giant wolves now towering over me. Daniel was glancing around the room seeming scared or unsure and Luke was giving me a wolfy smile that showed all his teeth and his tail wagging nervously. Sam worried me most as he was completely still with a look of shock in his eyes. 

Luke started moving from foot to foot nervously and I couldn't help but smile at him. Sam's head suddenly snapped to Luke and he let out a growl. Luke tilted his head to the side then stopped moving, he was looking at the ground and had his ears flattened. I felt fur on the back of my neck and realised Rain had come to sit behind me, probably because of Sam growling.

I didn't understand why they were so nervous and anxious. "Umm guys, why are you acting weird?" I ask, not expecting an answer but hoping they go back to their usual selves.

The three of them look at me with confusion. I turn to Luke and ask if I can pet him. I know it's an odd question but Rain always liked when I did it to him. Luke tilts his head to the side in even greater confusion than before and then he's smiling and wagging his tail like before.

I take his response as a yes and reach up and start petting his head. The others look shocked and Rain remains seated directly behind me. "I think we need to talk. I don't know why you look shocked and confused. Have I done something wrong?" I say quietly, hoping that they won't mind me speaking so candidly.

I slowly get up while leaning on Rain while the others change back to human form. Sam looks at me still looking shocked and confused.

"I don't understand. You're not afraid of us?" He says, looking directly at me. I shake my head, not really knowing what's going on.

Daniel looks at me with a strange look. "You talked and acted like you do when we're in human form. My own sister doesn't even do that."

"Yeah. My mom doesn't let us change in the house, my dad said it was because she grew up in a human home. But you did too. I just don't understand." Sam confesses, an unreadable emotion on his face. 

"You are the same in wolf form as you are as humans. I actually prefer wolves to humans. Werewolves have never hurt, well except Zane." I say quietly.

The three of them look at me in shock. "You didn't change the rules, did you?" Sam asks, sounding unsure.

I shake my head. "We don't know what your talking about. Even if there was a rule I didn't like I would still follow it. I'm only here as a tag along for Rain." I state, confused by the situation.

"She wasn't the one to change the rules. It was probably the principle." Daniel says looking at Sam.

"Umm... Can you tell me what rules were changed?" I ask nervously.

"I don't know. Maybe you should wait and ask the principal at that meeting next week?" Sam guesses. "He would have all the answers and would be able to explain everything."

I nod. As scary as he is, I'll just have to ask him. Anyways things will probably go back to my awful version of normal after that meeting. The best case scenario is if I get sent back to the pack and become a kind of slave to earn my keep. 

I look over at Rain, at least he'll be safe and has friends we can kind of trust here.

"Sooo... We can change in the dorm whenever?" Asks Luke, rocking back and forth on his feet.

I nod and Luke fist pumps the air while jumping. "Yes!" 

Daniel face-palms and Sam just roles his eyes at Luke's behaviour.

"I might go to bed now. I think all the medicine is making me sleepy." I say slowly, still finding it weird that I can make choices for myself and not get punished for speaking. I know it won't last but I will savor every moment of not getting hurt by people.