Chapter 27

(Rhovanel)

"You have handsome hair, Legolas," I say, finishing up the braid. It was one my mother had taught me, but I was the only one that knew how to do it.

"So your name is Rhovanel now?" Legolas asked. I sigh. I don't want to explain why I changed my name to him, but I feel obligated to if he is to ever trust me.

"Yes, my real name is Rhovanel. I had to change it when I ran away from my home."

"Why did you run away?"

"I was accused of hurting someone, someone important. I knew I would be killed if they decided I did it. So I ran."

"Did you do it?" He turned to face me now that I had finished the braid.

"No, no I did not. But I know they think I did. They are still trying to get me, so I need to stay away from them."

"Why don't you just tell them the truth?" Legolas asked.

"Because things are not so easy with them. Lord Celeborn and Lady Galadriel are not forgiving like most."

"What about Lord Elrond? He knows everything."

"I believe Lord Elrond would turn me in even if he knew I was innocent," I sigh. Legolas shook his head. Then I heard a knock at the door.

"Who is it?"

"King Thranduil is waiting for you in the great hall, Lady Rhovanel." I sigh.

"It was good to see you again, Legolas. I will be back with your father to take that braid out in a day or so. I promise." I begin to walk out, but Legolas grabs my dress.

"Do you still remember what I said at dinner the other night?"

I smile. "Of course, I could not forget even if I tried," I say. Legolas beams at me and releases my dress. I smile at him as I turn to leave. I hear a small sob behind me, but I can't turn back now, it will only make it worse.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I reach the great hall, I see soldiers running every direction in full armor. Several are carrying weapons. I see Thranduil standing in the middle of the chaos, directing as best he can. I carefully make my way to him, doing my best to stay out of the way.

As I walk over, I see Annoneth approach Thranduil. They start talking and pointing in my direction. I guess she is upset that I am allowed to fight. I have half a mind to turn around and leave, but then Thranduil sees me and waves me over.

Annoneth's hair has two small braids pinning the majority of it back, a simple war braid I've used many times. Her face is unreadable, but her eyes are full of disgust as Thranduil wraps his arm around my waist.

"You summoned me, my lord?" I say politely.

"Yes, we have a suit of armor for you to wear," he says. Annoneth rolls her eyes at me while Thranduil is calling for someone to bring the armor here.

When I see it, I gasp. Never in Lothlórien was I given armor to wear, nor was I ever given a weapon. I had to make them myself. But this armor was more beautiful than any I have ever seen. It's a gleaming white silver with leaf designs curving around the shoulders and waist. The mail is thin but well woven. There is a deep blue cape that hangs from the shoulders and polished boots of steel. Then I notice how most of it perfectly matches Thranduil's armor; and how dull Annoneth's armor is in comparison.

"Thank you, it's beautiful," I say, hugging Thranduil. Annoneth coughs loudly, interrupting our peace.

"I still do not understand why you would let her fight. We have more than enough elves to utterly destroy the orc army, but you want one more. What can she do that another elf cannot?"

I answer by whipping my daggers out and catching Annoneth in a hold before she can continue.

"I can do more with a blade than you can with words, if that means anything to you," Annoneth taps my shoulder and I release her. Then she nod begrudgingly at me and walks away to prepare the soldiers.

"That was..." Thranduil begins.

"What? I am done with her judgement. I will not let her hold any authority over me."

"I was going to say amazing. Annoneth just needs to get used to you. She hasn't been around a strong willed elleth in a long time." Thranduil stares at his feet for a minute and I know he means his wife.

"Hey, stay focused, alright? I can't fight all the orcs for you," I mock. Thranduil smiles and tells me to go get my armor on. I nod and the servant with the armor follows me to my room.

When we arrive, there are two servants waiting to help me get dressed. I strip the dress of and slide into the light shirt and trousers meant for armor. Then the first elleth slips the mail shirt over my head while the other wraps the loose mail around my legs. Next are the plates that strap to my legs and then the boots. Then the chest plate goes on and the shoulders. The gauntlets and gloves are last. They slide in with a satisfying click, and I'm ready for battle.