a friend

James opened the door slowly. "Sam? Is it really you?"

"Yeah, Buck. Now can I come in? It's a bit nippy out here." 

James opens up the door and lets him in. As James turns on a light, Sam exclaims while laughing "Wow! This place needs an upgrade!"

James shakes his head, smiling a bit. "What are you doing here?"

"Your therapist called. Said you needed to talk to me."

"Wha- oh, no," he groans.

"So what's going on?" Sam grabs a seat at the barren table. He notices the thin sheet and pillow on the floor. "And why are you sleeping on the floor?"

"Sam, listen, I'm fine. Whatever my therapist told you, she was probably exaggerating."

"Not what it sounded like. She says you're depressed." 

James sighs. 

"About what?"

"I don't know. That's what I'm here to find out." He pats the chair across from him. "Let's talk." James grabs a seat reluctantly, glancing at the clock. 

"You realize it's one in the morning?"

"And? Do I look old to you?" He looks at James. "Bucky... I know this has been a rough time for you. Losing Steve, getting back into society, it's a lot. I'm still grieving, too. You don't have to go through it alone."

"You have your own issues. The shield, your family. More important things."

"Fair, but that doesn't mean you still can't reach out." James avoids eye contact. "Look, if we are going to remain friends, we have to talk to each other. And if you don't want to talk, that's cool. We can just hang out and do guy stuff."

"Guy stuff?"

"Yeah, guy stuff." Sam shrugs.

"Which includes what?" James smiles coyly. 

"You know, fishing, clubbing, golfing.."

"Golfing?"

"Okay, you get my point." Sam shakes his head and Bucky chuckles. 

"Yeah, I understand."

"Alright. So, I figured I could stop by for a little, hang out, and go back home. And we check back in with each other. Sound good?"

James nods. "Sounds good."

"Good. Now what do you have to eat around here? I'm starving." He opens the empty fridge. "Really?! No food, either? Yeah, we got some shopping to do."

"Yeah, yeah. We'll get to it tomorrow."

"Tomorrow? I'm grabbing some food now, and you're coming with."

"What? Nothing is open this late."

"Trust me. I'll find something. Let's go."

"Alright." James grabs his jacket and they both step out into the storm.