a conversation

Sam and James returned around 3:20 in the morning and fell fast asleep. 

8:22. 

James is woken up by the smell of bacon and eggs. Sam was up making breakfast before he had to get on the road. After getting ready for the day, James walks into the kitchen to greet his friend.

"Leaving so soon?" James asks groggily. 

"Yeah, Sarah needs help back at home. I promised her I would be back by tonight."

"Well, thanks for the breakfast."  

"It's my way of apologizing for last night. Taking you out caused a lot of stress."

James nodded. "It's all good."

"Alright. Well, I'm outta here. Take care of yourself." They hug. 

"You, too. Safe travels."

"See you soon, Buck."

Sam departs and James is left with his hot breakfast. Pancakes, bacon, scrambled eggs, and orange juice. Who knew Sam could be such a dad? James chuckles out loud and enjoys his breakfast. 

~

Zoe's life can be quiet, but sometimes she enjoys dancing with her old instructor. As a kid, she was a great proficient and was the teacher's favorite, along with her sister. After her sister passed, it became harder for Zoe to dance. Every now and then, she would visit and brush the dust off of her pointe shoes. 

"Always so good to see you, Zoe."

"You too, Mama V."

"Are you still working at that coffee shop?"

"Yes, I love it."

"Oh, but it doesn't pay you enough. Come be a dance teacher for me, I'm getting old and I can't keep up with these young ones anymore."

"I'm so out of practice, it wouldn't be fair to the children."

"Nonsense! You're the best student I ever had."

Zoe laughs softly. "Fair enough, I will think about it if I ever get bored there."

"Okay, sweetie. Come see me soon." She gives Zoe a big hug and kiss. 

Though it was already nine at night, she decided to stop by the shop and enjoy the ambiance. 

She greeted her coworker and ordered some tea and a muffin. Once seated, she began to read her novel and was lost in its world. 

~

After a rather lazy day, Bucky decided to visit the coffee shop again. He needed a pleasant atmosphere to soothe his nerves. Upon entering, he notices Zoe isn't working. He almost walks back out until he spots her sitting quietly in a corner. He decides to turn around and order something. While he is ordering, Zoe loses focus and recognizes his voice. She looks up and their eyes meet. They both smile and she returns to her book. He sits down with a book and reads for a while. He takes out his journal for a bit, and writes a few things. Zoe notices and is intrigued. She works up enough courage to approach him. 

"Hi," she walks his table slowly. James looks up. 

"Hi," he gives her a soft, inviting smile. 

"I didn't want to scare you this time," she returns a smile. "Is this seat open?"

He looks at her a few moments, not realizing he hasn't answered. "Yeah, sure. Of course."

Zoe sits down with her book. 

"What are you reading today?" she inquires, looking at the book in his hand.

"Philosophy. I don't understand too much of it, but it's interesting," he responds. "What about you?'

"Ah, just a romance book. Nothing serious," she shrugs a bit. "Have you tried any of those recipes yet?"

"No, I haven't had the chance to," James looks at her curiously. "Is it your day off?"

"Yeah, but I was out and decided to stay a little bit. Better than being in my apartment alone."

"Yeah, I definitely know how that feels." 

They both sigh simultaneously, their breath filling in the gap. 

"So, do you work anywhere?" she felt pushy.

"Not at the moment. Kind of taking a break."

"That's always good. Don't want to get burned out."

"Yeah. Do you ever get tired of eating the pastries here?"

"Oh, never. I'm too much of a sugar addict to get tired of it."

"At least you're aware, right?"

"I know. The first step is awareness." 

After another pause, Zoe makes up in her mind that she needs to leave. 

"I'm sorry if I intruded in your space, I just wanted to stop by and say hi for a second."

"It's no problem at all."

"I'm gonna head out since it's already dark," she proceeds to get up. 

"Oh, do you drive home?"

"No, I walk."

"I'll walk with you." 

"Oh, that's not necessary--"

"Please. I saw a woman who was... harmed last night. It would make me feel better." 

Zoe notices the seriousness in his tone. 

"Okay. I appreciate it." 

James gets up and puts the book back, and they leave the shop. The night is still busy with cars passing by and people out walking. 

"So, how long have you been working there?"

"About 3 years now."

"Wow, that's impressive. You're committed."

"Yeah, I just love the job. I get to meet all kinds of new people and learn their stories. Plus, it's cozy to me. It brings me peace."

"I will definitely say, you create that atmosphere there. You're very welcoming and warm. A lot of people need that." 

Zoe blushes and is thankful for the cover of the night that hides her face a little.

"Besides work, what do you do in your free time?"

"Well, for now I just read and create art my apartment. On occasion I will dance with my old instructor."

"Dance, like ballet?"

"Yep. Pointe to be exact."

"That's cool. How long have you been dancing?"

"Seems like all of my childhood. I stopped once I started working in high school," her voice carries off into the wind and the sound of the city is heard. 

As they reach her apartment, Zoe thanks him. 

"I really appreciate you walking with me."

"Yeah, it's no problem. Do you usually work nights?"

"Yeah, I always close when I work."

"Well, if it's no trouble, I'd like to walk you home every night you work. I just want to make sure you're safe."

"If you really want to. I feel like it would be a hassle for you."

"Not at all. Do you work tomorrow?"

"Yes. The next three days."

"I will see you tomorrow, then," he turns away.

"Good night, James."

He turns back with a smile.

"Good night, Zoe."