butterflies

The warmth of spring comes around and brings flowers back to the parks. Since Atlas has learned to behave himself, Zoe and James have planted a couple of flowers in small pots to bring color into their space. Shasta daisies for the reminder of new beginnings, forget-me-nots for true love, and lilies of the valley to honor the ones they both loved and lost. 

It's April and Zoe's birthday is coming up. Bucky is working on a special birthday surprise for her, but finds trouble keeping it a secret since Zoe is so nosy. In the meantime, he has been working on a list in his book-- a new list. He was done with making amends for what he did as the Winter Soldier, and in doing so, found closure. Now, this new list consisted of all the moments in a day that took his breath away.  

March 29

Pink and orange sunrise

Atlas cuddling with me

Zoe's soft curls on my cheek 

April 5

A kid recognized me as 'Falcon's helper"

Zoe drew me a picture of the flowers I gave her

A phone call from Sam

His list is small, but it makes him feel whole. James was no longer going to therapy, so this list is just for him, not for an agenda. 

April is a busy month for Zoe. She is preparing for a large performance the school always puts on in the month of May. Zoe is putting in extra hours after the classes are done to make sure everything is perfect for the show. This is the first one she will lead by herself, and while she felt confident in her ability, she was doubting her leadership. Some nights, she wouldn't come home until 10 or 11. The students were learning well and their choreography was spot on, but again, Zoe doubted how well she is teaching. 

April 10

It's two days before Zoe's birthday and she is stressing out. She comes home late again and James is waiting for her, making sketches in her notebook on the couch. 

"Hey," Zoe comes in and places her bags next to the couch, kissing Bucky on the cheek before going into her bedroom. 

"How was it today?"

"Fine," she calls from the bedroom. "I think I'm close to getting it all planned out. I just have to make sure the soundtrack is in the right order and all that jazz." She changes and takes a shower. 

As he waits, James makes her some food to eat. When Zoe is finished, she comes out and sees the plate on the table. He is back to sitting on the couch, lost in thought with the sketch he drew. She sees the picture as she leans over, giving him a hug from behind. He drew a butterfly resting on a flower. 

"Wow, that looks great." She lets go and sits at the table. "Thank you for dinner."

"You're welcome." Bucky is still pondering the picture.

"What are you thinking about?" Zoe begins eating. James shrugs.

"Nothing, really." In reality, he had an epiphany. He knew where he was going to take Zoe for her birthday. He snaps himself out of his mind. "How's the food?"