a dinner date

Zoe leads them out of the garden and back onto the city sidewalks. 

"So what song do you think explains your life?" 

"Hm, I guess I haven't really thought about it. My music taste is kinda... dated."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, I really only know 40s music. And Marvin Gaye's 'Trouble Man.'"

"Huh, that's interesting. Why Marvin Gaye in particular?"

Bucky stiffens a second. "My friend suggested it to me to help me, uh,.." He is uncomfortable "broaden my music knowledge."

"Hmm," Zoe ponders for a second, "I like your friend. Marvin Gaye was a great musician and led the way for many to follow in the soul music movement." 

"Yeah, I really enjoyed it."

They near an old timey movie theater and Bucky is immediately flashed back to his youth. His face has the expression as if he's seen a ghost. Zoe notices. 

"You okay?"

"Yeah, I just.." He stares at the bright sign. "Haven't seen one of these in forever."

"Have you been to one before?"

"Yeah, when I was--" He stopped himself. "Uh, when I was in Indiana. Not a big town, so we didn't have the new, fancy theaters." He caught his breath for a moment. 

"Lucky. I hate the new ones. They're so pretentious sometimes."

"Agreed. Do you want to go in?"

"Sure."

The two walk up to the box office and buy tickets to see a short, silent film. 

~

"Well, that was a new experience. What did you think?"

"I found it amusing. Definitely reminded me of home." He smiles. 

"I loved it for sure." Zoe checks her phone. It was already 10 pm. 

"Gosh, I have to get home. I need to feed Atlas. He's gonna kill me."

"Better sleep with one eye open." James laughs. 

"Haha," Zoe answers sarcastically. 

"Let's be on our way then."

They walk briskly to her apartment. As they approach her door, Zoe asks,

"Could I see your place sometime?"

James is shocked.

"I mean, totally not a requirement. That's so weird of me. I just meant, well, it might be cool to make a dish or something like we talked about. I-- that was weird. I'm weird. I'm sorry." She bites her lip and quickly unlocks her door. 

"That would.. be great." James looks up at her shyly. 

"Oh," she drops her hand from the door. "Well, I guess, just tell me when and where." She smiles.

"Sure thing." He smiles back.

She hands James the bag with the scone. "Good night, Bucky." Zoe heads in.

"Goodnight.. Zoe." The door closes and Bucky feels his chest swell. 

What in the world am I going to cook for her?