Chapter 38 : Growing Closeness

Anika fidgeted with the pleats of her saree. The following day she had to wear a saree for the class on party etiquette. She had decided to do a try run at home. She didn't want to make a fool out of herself in the personality class the following day. 

The other women who took the classes were already so well mannered. Most of them were from elite class families and didn't even need the classes. She assumed they came to show off. Others were mostly aiming at jobs in hotels or waiting for a break in the movie industry.

She reached out the straighten the saree's edge at her waist pulling it up. She had a weird fear that it would slip off her frame. She had always found Badi Maa gorgeous and graceful, especially with the sarees. She had tried her luck to take her help. She was elated when Badi Maa was more than happy to and willing to help. 

"Fidgeting is a sign of low confidence," 

Anika glanced over her shoulder. Her gaze fixed on Shivaay as he came to stand beside her. She dropped her hand to her side immediately.

"You look beautiful!" He praised.

A smooth smile curved up Anika's face, and her eyes twinkled giving away her excitement at being complimented. 

Shivaay's heart skipped a beat. He just couldn't break the contact between their eyes. His fingers lightly brushed against hers. He smiled realizing she wasn't breaking the eye contact either. He let his fingers, move around hers, holding her hand. 

The way her smile transformed from a shy one to a competitive one gave him the hint of her silent challenge. Keeping their eye contact intact, he stepped closer. 

She swallowed her nervousness but wasn't ready to blink.  He smiled, knowing he'd be the one to win this. He guided his other hand to her waist. 

Anika's lips parted slightly. First his fingers, then his entire palm made contact with her bare skin at her waist under the black blouse. 

Shivaay was astonished that she didn't give away. He gently moved his palm. This should do it. She'll shy away and look aside. However, she did not.

Anika kept her eyes on his. He wasn't going to always win. No way. But that hand that caressed her waist was doing things to her. It was as though his touch had awakened every cell of her body, putting them on high alert.

Shivaay let his right palm, move from the side of her waist to the back slowly. His left hand squeezing hers. Why is she not giving in? 

Anika found herself melting at his ministrations. But she had made up her mind to not give up. This time Shivaay Singh Oberoi should surrender to her. However, her body felt like a rapidly melting ice cream. Her right hand under his grip, wasn't helping. The squeeze he gave hand strangely cause her insides to clench.

Shivaay knew it was time for her to give up. He gently, suddenly,  held her wrist and twisted her right arm behind her back, causing her to move towards him by a bit. However, she didn't blink. She bit on her lower lip not giving in yet.

Anika smiled, she could sense his frustration. She was almost close to the finish line. She decided to make a move this time. She pressed her free left hand agaisnt his shirt, at his waist. 

Shivaay let out a deep breath blinking, as though trying to sink in that touch. 

"I won!" Anika smiled broadly, quickly pulling her hand back. 

Shivaay tightened his jaw. He didn't deal well with someone else winning. His right hand flew away from her waist and caught her right wrist. Twisting both her hands behind her back he pulled her closer.