Twelve

⚓⚓⚓

The rain seemed to have eased off slightly as it trickled down the windshield, but I could still somehow feel the strength of the wind fighting against the side of the car as I sat inside it waiting for the others. 

The cold wind whooshed around the car as soon as Kiara opened the driver's side door and jumped in, water dripping down her face from the rain.

"Still no answer?" She nudged her head in the direction of the phone in my hands. I had called JJ three times since leaving the Wreck, wanting to tell him what we had discovered and where we were going, but he didn't answer.

"I left a message." I answered, avoided her gaze by turning to watch Pope and Topper seek their escape from the wet and windy weather, slamming their doors with relieved sighs. "Get everything?"

"Shovels and flashlights."

"We're good to go." The boys confirmed, earning a nod from Kie as she pulled away from the shed they had just raided for supplies beside Heyward's store.

Turning back to face the front, I concentrated on the dark road we were driving down as my mind ran riot with the possibilities of what tonight meant. Was we really going to find the gold? Would this all finally be over?

"How comes every time I go to this graveyard it's always in the dead of night." I voiced my last question out loud, breaking the nervous atmosphere that was growing in the car.

"Don't say dead." My eyes locked on Pope's in the mirror as he spoke ominously from the seat behind me.

Pulling up outside the gate, I couldn't help but think back to the last time we were here. Following John B as he lead us to his great-grandmothers tomb, and the discovery of Big John's map and message. It felt weird being here without him, and without JJ. But I swallowed down any wallowing I felt brewing, knowing we were doing this for him. That if we were right, and this is where Ward has hidden the gold, he could come back home.

"Ready?" I forced a smile, turning in my seat to look at the others. 

"Ready." They replied in unison.

I opened my car door, grateful that I had grabbed my waterproof jacket as I was instantly pelted with raindrops, but mentally scolding myself for still insisting on wearing denim shorts even at this time of year.

My converse sunk into the mud as I collected a shovel from Topper, who then passed another to Pope. Pulling the hood of my jacket over my head, I followed Kiara to the fence, helping her over and passing my shovel to her before I followed. Pope and Topper closely behind us.

Armed with flashlights, we mindlessly searched the graveyard for what felt like forever, inspecting every tombstone for Sarah's name. "Over here!" Pope eventually yelled, his voice losing volume as it cut through the wind. We had all naturally separated in our search, but through the moonlight and small glow of our flashlights I could see Kiara and Topper instantly head in Pope's direction.

I was the last to join their side, slowing my jog to stand beside Kiara and turning to face the direction they all looked in. I lifted my head, holding onto the top of my hood to stop the wind from pushing it back as I looked at Sarah's name carved into the marble stone. 

We all stood frozen in our semi-circle as we studied our friends grave in front of us. "Guys, this is creepy as shit." Kiara voiced what we were all probably thinking.

A flash of lightening lit up the whole graveyard for a split second as a booming roar of thunder rumbled out, causing me to flinch at the unexpected sound.