Six

⚓⚓⚓

A timid knock on my bedroom door drew my attention away from the tv screen. I sat up higher in my bed, resting my back against the wall and tucking my knees to my chest as I grabbed the remote to pause the show I was only vaguely watching, quickly wiping the tears from under my eyes.

"Come in." 

The door creaked open slowly before Nana poked her head in. "Hey sweetie. How are you feeling today?" 

I coughed gently to clear the dry lump in my throat. "A bit better, I guess." After JJ left the other night, I had found myself in a bit of a hole. Completely numb, but also somehow overwhelmed with the heartbreak that just kept knocking me sideways like waves repeatedly breaking on the shore. But of course I couldn't tell Nana the truth. I wanted to protect JJ's lowest moments from her, not wanting her fondness for him to be doubted. 

So I lied. I blamed my sour mood on a migraine which wasn't questioned and even got me a few days off from school. I wasn't ready to plaster on a fake smile in front of people just yet any way.

Nana's lips rolled into a line as she studied my face, doubting my words. She knew something else was wrong but couldn't work out what. "You look like you've been crying. Are you sure everything else is ok?" 

I nodded with a forced chuckle as I pointed to the tv screen. "Grey's Anatomy season 5 finale. Gets me every time." That wasn't a lie. It did. But I had purposefully searched Netflix for it because I needed a different reason to cry today.

She nodded, reluctantly accepting my excuse. "OK, well I have some errands to run, but was hoping you would be well enough to pop to the store for me? We're out of a few bits for dinner." Her voice instantly switched from concern to her usual cheery tone with the change of topic.

Internally I groaned at the prospect of having to get out of bed, showering, and going out in public. But it had been four days and I couldn't put it off any longer. Even Kiara had been blowing up my phone today. She had text me two days ago, after Pope told her I hadn't been at school, to check that I was ok. I lied to her too. 

Kie put on a tough exterior, but I could tell JJ's spiral effected her more than she let on. I didn't want her to know of any recent developments since they didn't change anything for her on the subject. We didn't all need to feel like I was feeling, so if I could protect both her and Pope from it then I would suffer in silence. But the migraine excuse was wearing thin and she was starting to grow suspicious.

"Yes sure. I could do with the fresh air." I smiled at Nana before getting out of bed to get myself ready. She had left by the time I had gotten out of the shower, and I was grateful that I didn't have to make any more small talk.

It was grey and cloudy today. But the mild air did actually make me feel a little bit less gloomy as I drove with the windows down towards Heyward's store. The list Nana had given me wasn't long, so I grabbed a basket as I entered, rounding the small store quickly. The door to the storage cupboard opened as I passed it, with Pope walking out carrying boxes of fresh stock.

"Oh Abby, hey!" A smile grew on his face when he spotted me. "How are you feeling now? Kie said you were knocked out with a migraine." 

I kept the welcoming smile on my face, not wanting to raise his suspicions. "A lot better today, thanks." 

Pope nodded as he lowered the box to the ground and began emptying it's contents onto the shelf in front of him. "And did this migraine have anything to do with he who shall not be named?"

I laughed genuinely at Pope's awkwardness to even mention JJ around me. "You can say his name, Pope." He stuttered over his words as he brushed it off. "But I'm so sick of thinking and talking about it. How did yours and Kie's part of the plan go? That was yesterday right?" I asked, suddenly remembering the day of the week.