Eleven

⚓⚓⚓

A cyclone originating from the Caribbean has strengthened into a tropical storm overnight and, for now, is still on a track to brush past the Outer Banks in a couple of hours, bringing heavy winds and rainfall with it.

I glanced up at the dusty old television on the wall of the Wreck to listen to the news reporter as I mindlessly wiped another table clean. The weather had been surprisingly sunny for late November but I had grown used to the odd storm rolling in by now. Today was no different, with the blue skies from yesterday quickly transforming into a dark and cloudy sky today, that was only growing windier by the hour.

"Sounds about right." Kiara appeared from the kitchen, pointing her chin up at the tv as she walked a tray of food over to a nearby table. "Weather to match our mood. Very fitting." She carried on as she walked back in my direction.

I sighed heavily with a yup as Pope sat back on his bar stool and lifted his head from his book to look up at the tv for himself and see what had dragged our mood down. "It's only been two weeks since you first spoke to John B. We can't give up hope to bring him back now." 

"Four months and two weeks, Pope." Kiara reminded him. Admittedly we didn't start searching for Ward's remaining gold until three months after John B and Sarah disappeared due to the constant surveillance from the cops and our families, but I also couldn't help but feel like maybe we had already exhausted all of our options by now.

"So what? We just give up. John B lives in Nassau now, forever?" I glared at Pope, silently telling him to keep his voice down as Kiara mumbled about that not being the worst place to live. The restaurant wasn't busy, but the winter vacation home owners were starting to swarm to the island, with trade picking up again after a quiet few months since summer ended.

"Look, I can't deny that we are at a bit of a dead end right now, but I'm not giving up ok. That's why I invited Topper to meet us here. We all need to brainstorm new ideas." I explained, glancing at the clock when I realized that he would be here any moment. Kiara's face contorted as she looked at Pope. "Play nice, ok?" I  warning them with a pointed finger, feeling like a parent telling them off.

Kiara and Pope had reluctantly accepted Topper's involvement in our gold hunt, and Pope even mentioned that he wasn't so bad anymore a few days ago, but that didn't mean they were overly happy with it. I, on the other hand, would take all the help we could get.

"And what about JJ?" Kiara asked, changing the subject after making a face to acknowledge my warning.

"I text him. But still no answer." I fiddled anxiously with the cloth in my hands, looking away from the pity in their eyes.

"I thought you said that you ended things on an alright note the last time you saw him?" 

"It did! And I thought he would at least answer my calls and texts this time round. I had to leave him a voicemail Kie. A voicemail. To tell him that John B is alive and that I had spoken to him." I snapped a little, letting my pent up emotions of the situation get the better of me. "I even drove around the Cut to look for him. His house, the boneyard, even Barry's."

"Pope saw him at the junk yard the other day." I looked expectantly in the boys direction as soon as Kiara spoke.

"Uh, yeah. Looked like he was working. I was with my family though so I couldn't stop." He explained.

I rolled my eyes. "And you're only telling me this now?" A pang of guilt caused my glare to falter when I looked at Pope's worried face. He wasn't comfortable in any situation that involved bickering and raised voices, especially if it was aimed at him. "Well, at least he's not dead in a ditch I guess." I mumbled under my breath, dropping the topic just as the bell rang above the door.