Eight

⚓⚓⚓

I hit Pope's name in my phone for the fourth time, hearing it ring through the loud speaker as I sat beside Kiara who was navigating our way to the Heyward's house.

The person you are trying to call is currently unavailable. Please leave a message after-...

I cancelled off the call with a loud groan. "Why isn't he answering?" 

"Abby, chill. We are literally two minutes around the corner. He's probably left it on silent or something."

Accepting that I could do nothing more than wait right now, I locked my phone and shoved it into my pocket before reaching into my bag to look at the two postcards again. "It's gotta be them, right?" I glanced across at Kie, who took a moment to look down at the cards in my hand before locking eyes with me, but turned back to concentrate on her driving with a small sigh.

"Let's not get our hopes up."

I nodded even though she wasn't looking at me. I knew she was right, but I just couldn't help myself. It was coming up to the four month anniversary of that night. And we did originally agree to track John B down then. Maybe he was laying low as planned and didn't want to risk getting in touch with us until now. 

I jumped out of the car before Kiara had even killed the engine. I knocked twice, a bit more conscious that Pope's parents might be home, unlike my erratic knocking when I arrived at Kie's. 

Kiara caught up to me, standing patiently beside me as we heard feet shuffling the other side of the door. It opened with a creak just a moment later. "Oh, hi girls." Heyward greeted us, a small look of suspicion on his face.

"Hey, Mr. H. Is Pope home?" I plastered a wide smile on my face as I tried to sound as casual as possible. Heyward shuffled his weight from one foot to the other as he hummed under his breath.

"Yes, but he is working on his scholarship essay. Now's not a good time." I subtly jabbed my elbow into Kie's side when she mumbled typical under her breath.

"But he needs a break, right? I promise we won't distract him for too long." I pleaded with my best innocent smile.

Heyward was about to respond when Pope's mom came into view behind him. "Jeez, let the poor boy have a break. He's been cooped up working on that essay for weeks now." I bit my lip to contain my laugh at seeing Heyward being scolded by his wife.

"Fine, fine. Make it quick." He eventually spoke, standing back and opening the door wider.

I marched through the house towards Pope's bedroom, feeling Kiara following closely behind me. With a small knock, I pushed the door open without waiting for a response. Pope's body straightened up from behind his desk as he turned to look at who was disturbing him.

"You're dad let us in. Well, actually, your mom did, but whatever." Kiara answered the silent question that was evident on his face.

"Okaaay..." He droned slowly. "Why...?"

I reached into my bag, pulling out the two postcards and holding them out to him. "Did you get one?" His eyes studied the cards for a moment before he looked back up, his eyes darting between the two of us.

"No. What are they?" 

I shoved them into his chest for him to take a closer look. "So you've not had like, any post at all today?" I asked feeling a little down-heartened. 

Pope thought silently for a moment, before shoving the postcards back at me and rushing out of his bedroom. "Umm, what was that?" Kiara asked when we looked dumbly at each other.