T E N

I gazed at myself in the mirror one more time, fixing the smudge on my bottom lip

I gazed at myself in the mirror one more time, fixing the smudge on my bottom lip. This time I had gone with a dark red lip. It felt so weird putting on a wig again. This time I had chosen a long blonde wig. I still couldn't believe I was ginger for the past three years. That in itself was a tragedy. I had picked up the wig from a local costume shop, making sure to pay in cash, so nobody would be able to track me down. I also made sure to pull up the hood of a jacket on my head, so security cameras wouldn't catch me if anything happened.

I had taken a few hours to go over in my mind how I would complete this mission. If you could call it that. I knew information about the death of this woman would have to be at the local police station. They must have already done an autopsy. The case file would have to be there. It just had taken me a while to figure out how to get in without raising any eyebrows. I knew the best time to go would be in the evening. There would be fewer people around. I took a deep breath as I walked down the sidewalk some more, clutching onto my coat. I took a deep breath as I stood in front of the big doors. It was now or never.

I rushed through the door. A sob left my mouth as I almost dropped to the floor. Luckily one of the officers had caught me before I face-planted onto the marble floor. I didn't hear what they were asking me as I started crying or at least showed them I was crying. Luckily they were buying the whole thing.

"I...I was mugged." I said as they brought me to sit on one of the benches, I whipped the tears away from my eyes.  There were only three officers on duty it seemed. They had bought my story. The fake bruises I had were thanks to the wonders of makeup. I stood up suddenly, they all turned to look at me. 

"Where's your bathroom?"I said, placing a hand on my chest. They had probably thought I was about to throw up. They pointed in the direction of the bathrooms. I nodded and ran around the corner. I looked back just to make sure nobody was following me.

I stood up taller as I walked down the hallway, past the bathrooms.

There at the end of the hallway were the locker rooms. Hopefully, there would be a uniform I could change into. What I didn't expect was to see another office. I stood there for a moment. My eyes widened in shock.

"Can I help you?" The women asked. She looked around my age, much smaller in height. I didn't say anything and that right there probably gave off red flags, I could see her reaching for her gun.

Honestly fuck my life.

Pipes were running along the walls. One ran right in the middle of us. I didn't have to think twice as I hurried and jumped, grabbing a hold of the pipe. Smashing my feet right into her face. I winced as I heard a crack, she had broken something as she fell straight onto her back. I didn't know if she was alive or dead. At least she wouldn't get in my way.

This was the part I hated, but I bent down to unbutton and take off her uniform. I grabbed the shirt and skirt I had been wearing. I grunted as I grabbed the woman by the arms and stuffed her into a janitor's closet. I walked out of the locker room. I knew I didn't have that much time as I knew the officers would be looking for the lost officer and me.