Chapter 7: The Blood of the Guilty

"They have to pay for what they did."

"The dead are gone, the living are hungry."

"Vengeance."

"Blood."

"Guilty."

"Jus drein jus daun."

My eyes shot open, my breathing fast and sharp. I groaned as I put my hand to my forehead, feeling it covered with thick, oily sweat. Then it all came back to me: the fight, the Rebels, the arrow in my shoulder. I looked at my shoulder to find it bandaged up, the arrow gone to be replaced with a spot of blood.

"Hey there, sleeping beauty," a deep voice ringed in my ears.

My heavy eyes travelled to the source. I blinked a few times to try and rid myself of my blurry vision and the shape soon turned into the tall figure of my brother.

"Elian?" My voice sounded weak, a vast difference to my normal, strong tone.

"You guessed right," he smiled, walking up to me. "How are you feeling?"

I chuckled, "like I've just had the ultimate punch to the face."

He laughed, "well you have been asleep for two days."

"What?!" I shot up and instantly regretted it as my whole body ached in retaliation.

"Careful," he put his hand to my head. "Your fever has gone down, but you will feel like shit for another few days. The poison laced on that arrow was a rare one, the most dangerous too."

"Yeah, feels like it. Who had the antidote?" I questioned, whoever had it had saved my life.

My brother smiled, "Arrow had the antidote. His wide knowledge of poison arrows saved you. He knows every poison and antidote across our lands, seems to have them all too."

I managed to sit up against the pillows, "no surprise there. Are they both okay? My Nightbloods?"

Elian nodded, "yes. No injuries from the fight. They have been helping the wounded villagers and warriors, and checking up on you."

Relief relaxed my hurting body, glad that they were safe. But it didn't last long as the aftermath of the battle reminded me of what I needed to ask. "How's the village? The people?"

My brother's green eyes darkened, "many fell. Even after the fight, a few died from their injuries. They're scared, Y/N and they need guidance......revenge."

I nodded, "the past commanders spoke to me while I was asleep. I saw flashbacks of their battles and executions of enemies."

Elian crossed his arms, "what are they trying to tell you?" He asked, though I got the feeling he already knew what I was about to say next.

My eyes stared a dangerous calmness, "those prisoners will die. They took the lives of the innocent and therefore they will bleed the blood of the guilty."

"Jus drein jus daun," Elian spoke the traditional words.

My nod was grave, but the serious atmosphere didn't last long as the next thing I knew I was being hugged tight.

"Y/N!" Ivory released me from her grasp, "I'm glad you're okay. You gave us quite the scare there."

I beamed at her, happy to see my old friend, "I'm not going out that easily! What have you been doing while I was out?"

The brunette leaned against the wall of the little house I was refuged in, "I've been hunting a lot, food stocks were destroyed and we have managed to get some kills but, this village will need help growing their crops again."