Chapter 9

Disclaimer: No I don't own Gallagher Girls. Hey girls! I just read Heist Society! Any of you read it yet? IT'S AWESOME! :D . Well here is the new chapter and as I promised, Zach and Cam get to talk alone. Also, since I was feeling happy today and the last chapter was so short, you guys get two chapters today ! :D

Chapter 9:

12 days from deadline

Camping a few miles from town was not what I expected it would be. There were three tents; one for the Mr. Solomon and Zach, one for Sally and one for me. The fire had died down to just embers and honestly; it didn't feel like camping when you could not see the stars from the city lights shining so near. I felt exposed, almost unprotected and decided I needed time to think on my own, far from the rest.

I stood up and brushed the dirt of my jeans and started running. It felt weird to have pants on instead of the skirt my uniform had made me grow used to. I wondered what the others were thinking. Sure, they would be mad but it was for the best that I left. I wouldn't dare endanger my friends. Even spies have to hide sometimes.

The sound of footsteps following me snapped me back to reality. My spy senses came back to me and I started thinking what to do next. I started running in a zigzag motion and tried to lose my stalker but the steps only seemed to become louder. Suddenly, the shadow behind me caught up to me.

"Cam, it's me, stop running"

Zach.

"What are you doing here?"

"Same as you it seems, couldn't sleep, needed to think about some stuff."

I slowed down to a fast walk and Zach started walking by my side.

"Are you worried?"

"About what?"

"About my godmother Sally being a traitor, about Mr. Solomon and us not being able to solve this on time. About the deadline, even about me being a traitor"

With Zach, it was no use lying so instead, I told the truth. I stole a sideway glance at him. His green eyes were illuminated by the moonlight and his hair shined under it. It should really be illegal to have him this close.

"How did you know?"

Zach smiled and pointed to himself.

"Spy."

I smacked his arm and he laughed. Strangely, I found myself laughing with him. It had been so long since I felt so carefree.

"You have to stop doing that, it's dangerous to make a spy mad, you know."

"You know you love it"

We kept walking for a while and talked about lots of things.

"Why didn't you tell me she was your godmother?"

"I was afraid you would judge her after having met my mother before even giving her the chance to explain."

I had to admit he was right. If Zach had told me about his godmother before, I probably would not have let her explain.

Suddenly, Zach stepped in front of me and looked at me.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Sure"

"When my school came to yours, why did you still talk to me, even if you suspected me?"

That was a good question. Why had I been so worried about how I looked when I was going to meet Zach? Why did my heart seem to want to jump out of my chest and go on a mission of its own when he looked at me like that? Why did it still feel that way?

"I talked to you because it was my role in the mission, and a good spy never gets off track."

"Oh, come on Gallagher Girl, you know you like me, at least a bit. I can tell."

"No you can't."

Zach started getting dangerously close to my face in that moment and as much as I hated to admit it, it didn't bother me. It didn't bother me at all.

"Cam, I.."

"Zach! Cam! There you are! Mr. Solomon went mad when he found out you two disappeared! Get yourselves back to camp right now"

Zach nodded and we started walking back. Did I dare ask him what he was about to say?

"Zach, you were saying?"

"I was just about to tell you that you had something in your hair, don't get o worked up. It's nothing important."

"Oh"

My face fell and Zach smiled,

"Are you disappointed? What were you expecting me to say?"

"Nothing!"

"Sure. Well, goodnight Gallagher Girl."

Zach started walking towards his tent, then turned around and kissed my cheek. Now, being a spy trains you to portray something completely different from what you are feeling in that instant, but I was thankful for the dark of night that hid my blush as Zach walked back to his tent.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you all like it? :D Comment please! Things will go a bit more interesting from now on