Chapter 14:

Author's POV

The office is in full panic mode. Hannah and Bunsen scramble to answer phones as they continue to ring incessantly. Pulitzer sits furiously at his desk.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Pulitzer will have to call you back." Hannah says frantically into the phone.

"I'm sorry, but he'll have to call you back." Bunsen says into the other phone. Pulitzer pinches the bridge of his nose.

"He can't talk. He'll call you back-"
"I'm sorry, but he'll— I'm sorry. I'm sorry."

"Silence those phones!!!" Pulitzer yells. Hannah and Bunsen remove the receivers from their cradles.

"The entire city is shut down. No one is working anywhere. And everyone is blaming you." Bunsen huffs.

"They're all calling: the Mayor, the publishers, the manufacturers... and such language!" Hannah says. Jack, Jess, Davey, and Spot enter merrily, chased by Seitz

"You can't just barge in..." Jess hushes the old man. Jack runs and offers up the Newsies Banner to Pulitzer.

"How we doin' this morning, gents?" Jack smirks happily.

"You're behind this? We had a deal." Pulitzer starts.

Jack tosses the bribe money on Pulitzer's desk. "And it came with a money-back guarantee. And thanks for your lessons on the power of the press."

Seitz examines the article."Did you read this boss? These kids put out a pretty good paper. Very convincing."

Pulitzer rolls his eyes. "No doubt written by my daughter." Jess scoffs.

"Excuse you, Sir. I helped." Jess says. Jack, now reclining in an office chair, pulls Jess into his lap.

"I'd sign her before someone else grabs her up." Jack says. Spot gives the two a weird look.

"I demand to know who defied my ban on printing strike material!" Pulitzer slams his hand down.

"We're your loyal employers." Jess starts.

"We'd never take our business elsewhere." Spot says with a smirk plastered across his face.

"The old printing press in the cellar." Seitz says. Pulitzer starts taking measured steps toward Jack and Jess.

"I made you the offer of a lifetime. Anyone who does not act in his own self-interest is a fool."

"What's that make you? This all began because you wanted to sell more papers. But now your circulation is down seventy percent. Why didn't you just come talk to us?" Davey asks.

"Guys like Joe don't talk with nothin's like us. But a very wise person told me a real boss don't need the answers. Just the smarts to snatch the right one when he hears it." Jack says referring to Jess. Newsies sing in Newsie Square below Pulitzer's office.

NEWSIES:
"NOW IS THE TIME TO SEIZE THE DAY
STARE DOWN THE ODDS
AND SEIZE THE DAY
MINUTE BY MINUTE,
THAT'S HOW YOU WIN IT
WE WILL FIND A WAY.
BUT LET US SEIZE THE DAY.
HM!"

The Newsies continue to hum as a drum beats steadily.

"Have a look out there, Mr. Pulitzer. In case you ain't figured it out, we got you surrounded." Spot says pointing out the window.

"New York is closed for business. Paralyzed. You can't get a paper or a shoe shine. You can't send a message or ride an elevator or cross the Brooklyn Bridge. You can't even leave your own building. So, what's your next move?" Jack asks. Bunsen rushes back into the room in a tizzy.

"Mr. Pulitzer, the Mayor is here along with your daughter and... oh you're not going to believe who else!" In walks the Mayor, Katherine, Medda, and governor Teddy Roosevelt.

"Good morning, Mr. Pulitzer. I think you know the Governor." The Mayor points to Teddy.

"Governor Roosevelt?" Pulitzer says.

"Joseph, Joseph, Joseph. What have you done now?" Teddy asks in a teasing manner.

"I'm sure when you hear my explanation-"

"Thanks to Miss Medda Larkin bringing your daughter to my office, I already have a thorough grasp of the situation- graphic illustrations included." brandishes Jack's drawings. "Bully is the expression I usually employ to show approval. But in your case I simply mean bully!" He turns to Katherine and points to Jack and Jess. "Are these the kids of whom you spoke?" Katherine nods.

"Yes Sir. This is Jack Kelly and Jess Conlon."

"How are you, son? I'm told we once shared a carriage ride." Teddy says shaking Jack's hand. He nods.

"Pleasure's mine, Mr. Governor." Teddy Roosevelt turns back to Pulitzer.

"Well, Joe, don't just stand there letting those children sing... endlessly. Give them the good news." Pulitzer quirks a brow at Roosevelt.

"What good news?"

"That you've come to your senses and rolled back your prices. Unless, of course, you want to invite a full state senate investigation into your employment practices." Pulitzer gets red with anger.

"You wouldn't-"

"After the pressure you wielded to keep me from office? I'd do it with a smile. Come along, Joseph. There's only one thing worse than a hard heart, and that's a soft head."Pulitzer growls and postures. "And think of the happiness you'll bring those children." He turns to Hannah "He doesn't do happiness, does he?" Hannah looks down before saying in a hushed tone.

"No sir."

"Mr. Kelly, Miss Conlon, if I may speak to you...alone." Pulitzer says to Jack. Jack looks to their friends and nods towards the door. They all withdraw from the room, leaving Pulitzer, Jess, and Jack alone.

"I cannot put the price back where it was." Jack starts to move away. "I'm sorry, I can't. There are other considerations-"

"I get it. You need to save face front of all these folks. I'm young, I ain't stupid." Jack says.

"Thank you for understanding." Pulitzer gets cut off by Jack.

"But we got constituents with a legitimate gripe." Jack says.

"What if I reduce the raise by half and get the others to do the same? It's a compromise we can all live with." Jess and Jack think for a second.

"But you eat our losses. From now on, any papes we can't sell, you buy back- full price." Jess smirks as she crosses her arms. Pulitzer's eyes widen.

"That's never been on the table! What's to stop Newsies from taking hundreds of papers they can't sell? My costs will explode!" He yells.

"Hey now! No Newsie is gonna break his back haulin' around papes he can't sell. But if they can take a few more with no risk, they might sell 'em and your circulation would begin to grow..." Jess and Jack then say at the same time.

"It's a compromise we can all live with." They mock.

"That's not a bad head you've got on your shoulders." Pulitzer says starting to consider it.

"Deal?" Jack spits in his hand and holds it out for Pulitzer to shake.

"That's disgusting." Pulitzer grimaces.

"Just the price of doing business." Jess shrugs. Pulitzer hesitantly spits in his hand. Jack grabs it and shakes.

Deal sealed.