Chapter 9:

Author's POV

Jack paints a backdrop of the Taos Mountains. It's almost finished. Medda enters in a dressing robe.

"Here's everything I owe you for the first backdrop, plus this one, and even a little something extra just 'cause I'm gonna miss you so." Medda hands Jack an envelope full of money.

"Miss Medda." Jack tries to find the right words.

"Jack..." Medda brings him into a hug.

"You're a gem." Jack smiles.

"Just tell me you're going somewhere and not running away." Jack shrugs.

"Does it matter?" Medda shakes her head at the young man.

"When you go somewhere and it turns out not to be the right place, you can always go somewhere else. But if you're running away, nowhere's ever the right place." Medda says.
Davey and Jess finds their way in through the stage flies. They rush down excitedly when they spot Jack.

"How 'bout lettin' a pal know you're alive?" Davey yells.

"I'll leave you with your friends." Medda leaves.

"Why'd you go? We couldn't find you." Jess says softly.

"Ever think I didn't wanna be found?" Jack says coldly. Davey notices the backdrop.

"Is that a real place? That Santa Fe?" Davey asks. Jack ignores him. Davey suddenly remembering, holds out the newspaper.

"Hey! You see the pape? We're front page news, above the fold." Davey says trying to show Jack. Jack nods.

"Good for you." He says sarcastically.

"Everyone wants to meet the famous Jack Kelly. Even Spot Conlon sent a kid just to say next time we stand, even you can count on Brooklyn. How about that?" Davey says.

"Yeah I already know about that." Jack says furiously painting on the backdrop. Jess furrows her brows.

"What?"Jess asks nervously. Jack turns to her.

"Yeah that's right, Jess Conlon! Sniper found me way before he found you. All though I was rather shocked when he said he was lookin for Spot's baby sista! I shoulda known there was no such thing as a Greenport Newsie!" Jack says. Jess looks down awkwardly.

"Look I'm s-"

"With Brooklyn or without Brooklyn. Doesn't change the fact that we got stomped into the ground." Jack says turning the conversation back to Davey.

"They got us this time. I'll grant you that. But we took round one. And with the press like this our fight is far from over." Davey says excitedly.

"Every Newsie who could walk showed up this morning to sell papes like the strike never happened." Jack says.

"And I was there with them. If I don't sell papes, my folks don't eat." Davey says. Jack huffs and moves away.

"Save your breath. I get it. It's hopeless."

"But then I saw this look on Weasel's face; he was actually nervous. And I realized this isn't over. We got them worried. Really worried. And I walked away. Lots of other kids did, too. And that is what you call a beginning." Davey says, trying to be inspirational, per usual. Footsteps can be heard as Les and Katherine come running in.

"There he is, just like I said." Les says, feeling accomplished.

"For cryin' out loud... where's a fella gotta go to get away from you people?" Jack groans.