3

Author's POV

The Newsies arrive at the distribution windows of the World. Wiesel, an ill-tempered, rumpled man, appears with the Delanceys to collect the money and distribute the papers to the Newsies.

"Papers for the Newsies! Line up!" Jack is first to the window as always. The rest of the newsies are lined up behind him.

"Good morning, Weasel. Did you miss me?" Jack says as he bugs the old chap.

"That's Wise-el." Wiesel says correcting Jack.

"Ain't that what I said?" He slaps down his money. "I'll take the usual."

"A hundred papes for the wise guy." Oscar hands over the papers and Race moves up to the window.

"How's it going, Weasel?"

"At least call me "mister."

"I'll call you sweetheart if you'd spot me fifty papes." The other Newsies laugh.

"Drop the cash and move it along."

"Whatever happened to romance?" Race says as he slaps down his coin.

"Fifty for the Race. Next!" Jess walks up.

"Morning Buffer." Jess says as she adjusts her bag on her shoulder. Wiesel quirks an eyebrow at her.

"Buffer?" Jess snaps hers fingers.

"Oh it's my new favorite word. Its a noun, and you use it when you're speaking to an old man, who you think is slightly stupid." The boys laugh and Wiesel gives her her papers and moves her away. Next in line is Crutchie.

"Good morning, Mr. Wiesel."

"Fifty papes for Crutchie." Next in line is a new kid. Davey, a 17-year-old-boy who appears out of his element, and his little brother Les.

"Have a look at this: a new kid!" This makes Jack and Jess turn their heads.

"I'm new too!" Les says excitement laced in his words.

"Ya don't say." Knuckles says.

"Don't worry kid, rubs right off." Race says.

"I'll take twenty newspapers, please." Dave's says holding a firm grip on his bag.

"Twenty for the new kid. Let's see the dime."Wiesel says holding his hand out. Davey looks him up and down.

"I'll pay you when I sell them."The Newsies all look at each other. Wiesel scoffs.

"Funny, kid. C'mon, cash up front." Now it's Davey's turn to scoff.

"But whatever I don't sell, you buy back, right?" Wiesel and the Delancey's laugh.

"Certainly. And every time you lose a tooth I put a penny under your pillow. This kid's a riot. C'mon. Cough up the cash or blow."Davey hands over a dime, gets his papers, and looks them over. "Come on, move along." Wiesel ushers Davey out of the way. "Albert, lemme see your money."

"You have a very interestin' face. Ever think of getting' into the movin' pictures?" Albert nudges Wiesel.

"You think I could?" Wiesel smirks.

"Sure. Buy a ticket, they let anyone in."Albert says making the boys laugh.

"Beat it, will ya?" Wiesel says handing Albert his papers. Davey's eyebrows knit together when he sees that he was scammed.

"Sorry. Excuse me. I paid for twenty but you gave me nineteen." Everyone freezes and watches. Jack swoops in and quickly counts the papers.

"You seen how nice I was to dis new kid? And what did I get for my civility? Ungrounded accusations."

" I just want what I paid for." Davey's says innocently.

"He said beat it!" The Delanceys start to crack their knuckles. Jess rolls her eyes.

"New kid's right, Weasel. Ya gave him nineteen." Jack says after counting Davey's papers. Jess grabs them and counts. She shrugs.

"I'm sure it was an honest mistake on account'a Oscar can't count to twenty with his shoes on." Jess says pointing the Delancey. Oscar threatens to attack. Wiesel pushes him back and tosses another paper to Davey.

"Here. Now take a hike." Wiesel yells.

Jack walks back up, flipping a coin onto the counter. "Give him another fifty papes."

"I don't want more papes." Jess gasps.

"What kind'a Newsie don't want more papes?" She asks. Oscar hands Davey a stack of papers. Davey follows Jack with them.

"I'm no charity case. I don't even know you." Les jumps on a crate.

"His name's Jack!" The boys yells proudly.

"This here is the famous Jack Kelly. He once escaped jail on the back of Teddy Roosevelt's carriage. Made all the papes." Crutchie says leaning on Davey's.

Jack turns to Les. "How old are you, kid?"

"I'm ten. Almost!" Les says. Jack turns to Jess and smirks. She nods and walks up to the lad.

"If anybody asks, you're seven. Younger sells more papes, and if we're gonna be partners...." Davey cuts off Jess.

"Who said we want a partner?" Crutchie huffs.

"Sellin' with Jack is the chance of a lifetime. You learn from him, you learn from the best."Davey nods sarcastically.

"If he's the best, what's he need with me?" Jack walks up to face Davey.

"Well. 'Cause you got a little brother and I don't. That face could sell a thousand papes a week." Jack turns back to Les. "Look sad, kid." Les makes a sad face.

"We're gonna make millions." Jess says.

"This is my brother David. I'm Les." Jack nods.

"Nice to meet ya, Davey. My two bits come off the top, and we split everything 70-30." Les scoffs.

"50-50! You wouldn't try to pull a fast one on a little kid." Jack looks to Jess.

"60-40 and that's my final offer." Les thinks for a second before nodding.

"Deal!" The young boy yells. Jack spits in his hand and holds it out to shake. Les copies him and they shake.

" That's disgusting." Davey cringes.

"It's just business."Jack turns back to the others. " Newsies, hit the streets. The sun is up, the headline stinks, and this kid ain't getting' any younger!" They yell and high five each other before they dance down the street.

Newsies Singing:
"WE'LL ALL BE OUT THERE
CARRYING THE BANNER MAN TO MAN.
WE'RE ALWAYS OUT THERE SOAKIN' EV'RY SUCKER THAT WE CAN.

HERE'S THE HEADLINE:
"NEWSIES ON A MISSION!"
KILL THE COMPETITION!
SELL THE NEXT EDITION!

WE'LL BE OUT THERE
CARRYING THE BANNER!
SEE US OUT THERE
CARRYING THE BANNER!
ALWAYS OUT THERE
CARRYING THE BANNER!
AH, AH, AH, GO!"