Chapter 3: Meeting with the Traitor

Exactly three hours later, Sirius appeared from the bushes. The large, shaggy black dog limped towards me as I scrambled towards him. I hugged him as I gasped, "Sirius. I've missed you so much. Transform back, it's safe."

However, Sirius merely shook his head. I frowned, upset by his choice. I pulled out my wand and said, "I have a charm so I can hear you as if I was in my animagus form right now. May I?"

He nodded and once I placed the charm on him, I could heard his voice. It made me feel alive. I missed him more than I could've ever imagined. 

"Darling, you look fabulous," Sirius sighed. "Simply magnificent."

"You always were good at charming me. I want to see you. Sirius, it's been years and we are finally back together," I requested, petting his soft fur. He was so skinny and looked sick almost. "Why won't you change back?"

"I can't. I - I don't look anything like before, Stacey. Azkaban has drastically changed me and I'm not ready for you to see me like this," He objected kindly. 

I smiled softly. "I understand, Sirius. Are you hurt? Do you need anything?" I questioned. 

"It has been a long trip and prison sentencing but no, I'm fine," Sirius replied, in his smooth, charismatic tone. "Angie, I'm sorry but I don't have a lot of time. I missed you so much and it kills me to say goodbye so soon."

I could feel my heart breaking just like it did when they took him away from me. I shook my head as I whispered, "No, Sirius. Please. Why? I just got you back."

"If I could stay with you forever, I would, Angie, you know that. But it isn't safe, I know you understand," Sirius answered. "I have to keep going until I reach Hogwarts -"

"Why Hogwarts? How did you even escape in the first place?" I asked. 

"Ah yes, Dementors can't sense the presence of animals so once I figured that out it wasn't hard to escape. As for Hogwarts ... You know I'm innocent, right?" Sirius clarified. 

"Of course."

"Well, you know how I wasn't their secret keeper? Stacey, it was Peter. He betrayed Lily and James that night," He confided. 

I couldn't get myself to believe that. Peter had died that night. All Sirius had ever told me was that he wasn't their secret keeper and I believed him. Besides, he was with me that night. I never believed that Sirius would kill Peter and to be honest, I never got an explanation as to how Peter did die that night. Neither of us ever brought it. Besides, it was hard to discuss Sirius' innocence when he was in Azkaban. Either way, I couldn't believe this. 

His behavior became erratic as soon as he mention Peter. Sirius got up and began to pace back and forth as I slowly said, "Sirius, I don't know. You were in Azkaban for a long time. I know you are innocent but it can't be Peter. He was your friend and now he's dead."

"I'm not lying. Put me under a truth spell if you must!" Sirius insisted, sitting by me again. 

"No. I trust you. I don't need anything like that with you. You know that I trust your word, Sirius," I contradicted, running my fingers through his hair. He was my lover 12 years ago. What kind of relationship would we have had if I didn't trust him?

"Thank you. Thank you for always believing me," Sirius thanked. 

"Don't mention it ..." I whispered. I was in shock. Peter, one of our best friends, had betrayed Lily and James? It was his fault all this time. However, there was no time for sadness or anger now. Sirius and I had a lot of work to do. "Alright, so where is Peter? Is he still alive or something?"