Chapter 13: Losing Hope

"Did you take your potion?" I asked. 

"Yes, I did," Remus reassured. He gestured to the empty bottle behind him which made a bit more relaxed. Tonight was the night Remus would be turning into a werewolf and, as always, I worried for his well being. 

"Alright, good," I whispered, before hugging him tightly. My hand ran down the back of his neck carefully. If there was anything in this world that I could've done to stop his transformation I would have. "Be careful."

"I will," He promised, as we pulled away. Remus smiled at me before touching my cheek. "I'll see you tomorrow, okay? Don't stay up waiting. You need your rest. Promise me."

"I promise to try," I replied. 

Remus bent down to Andrew who patiently waited his turn in his crib. He bent down and kissed him on his head before whispering, "Take care of your mother, alright?"

He wished me goodbye before heading out the door. 

That same evening, after dinner, I was walking down the hall with Andrew in my arms and Severus to my left. We had a satisfying meal but Remus wasn't far from my mind. Sirius and I had just met up last week and I would have to visit him again tomorrow. We were heading to my chambers when we reached the bottom of the staircase. All the students were huddled together with Dumbledore at the top. The air was filled with nervous whispering and murmurs. A little Ravenclaw boy was at the bottom of the stairs.

"Sweetheart, what's going on?" I asked. 

The boy turned to face me, his face white as snow, as he whimpered, "Sirius Black. He's in the castle. He attacked the Fat Lady."

I immediately felt Severus tense up beside me as his breath became rigid with anger. I saw Dumbledore quickly maneuver his way down to us as he instructed, "I need you two to check the dungeons." 

Percy, who had been tagging along with Dumbledore the entire time, said, "Professor Ringe, I can take Andrew to Madame Pomfrey while you look."

"Thank you so much," I answered, handing him over. "He should be going to sleep soon, anyway."

"Stacey," Dumbledore addressed, looking worried. "I must caution you. Sirius isn't the man you once knew. If you do encounter him, please, be wise on your choice of action. There are no walls of Azkaban as protection anymore."

"I will, sir," I promised. 

I ran off with Severus to the dungeons. I never realized how scary the dungeons were especially at night. I went off in a separate direction and looked around. I check every corner but I found nothing. Even if I had found him, I would have helped him escape. The room flashed out, suddenly, and bright light appeared. I was irritated that of all times I would get a vision now. The current view disappeared and I was shown something else:

I was in the forest bleeding. There was a sharp pain in my arm and I could hear someone calling me from a distance away. But I didn't listen to them and concentrated on moving forward. As I stumbled down the hill and I saw Sirius receiving the dementor's kiss. Someone else was with him but I couldn't see who. My vision was blurred as I stumbled down. There was a bright light coming and when I opened my eyes all I saw was Sirius lying motionless on the floor. I heard myself screaming his name.

The vision faded out and I found myself on the cold dungeon floor. Severus appeared down the hallway as I began to pick myself up. He saw me and yelled, "Stacey!"

"I'm fine," I mumbled, taking his hand as I stood up properly. "I just had a vision."

The images of Sirius receiving the kiss were still haunting my mind. I wouldn't let that vision come true. Not after all Sirius and I had worked for. I'd rather die than allow Sirius to get the dementor's kiss in the end. I was petrified but if anything, this pushed me to work even harder now.