Chapter 24: Paths Unfolding

Severus and I walked back to castle together. My arm was throbbing and the spell I put on it was waring out and the bleeding and pain started again.

"Why does the castle have to be so far away?" I grumbled to myself gripping my shoulder.

It felt like someone was banging my head with a hammer. Severus wrapped an arm around me and whispered,

"We are almost there."

I just contentrated on something other than the pain of having my arm detaching from my body. As hard as it was I kept going. As an attempt to drift my mind I started speaking,

"Severus, where is Ron and Hermione?" I asked.

"Hermione took Ron to the hospital wing already. Because of your spells he was able to walk better."

I sighed in relief and smiled happy that Ron was doing alright. Thankfully the halls were empty as we walked in because mainly everyone was asleep. Dumbledore and Cornelius were standing in the hallway. I knew Dumbledore had probably known about all of this.

"Oh my!" Corenlius gasped, "What happened to all of you?"

Cornelius asked though he knew the answer. He was staring at Sirus' unconsious body. I couldn't bare to think what would happen to Sirius now. But I wasn't going to lose him just yet. We came this far I knew it wasn't over.

"Well Sirius and Harry nearly recieved the kiss and I trust you heard about Ron," I answered weakly.

"And what about you my dear? Look at your arm!" Cornelius exclaimed.

"Brave act actually. She was attack by a werewolf as she tried to save us all." Severus replied for me. But he was looking at Dumbledore rather angrily.

"A- a werewolf?" Cornelius asked astounded.

I nodded choking back tears. The pain was starting to subside now though and there was just some stinging pain. I squeezed Severus' hand tighly as I fought through it. I was determined to stay and listen to what Cornelius had to say. I quietly said a spell and Harry's strecher went off to the hospital wing.

"I will take Sirius to the top tower." Dumbledore said, "Stacey go take care of that arm."

"I can - ahh - bare it." I said stubbornly.

"Come now my dear. We will come along so you can hear what we are about to say." Cornelius coaxed.

I nodded and walked off with them as Severus supported me carefully and protectivly. Cornelius watched us with great interst as we walked over. He cleared his throat awkwardly before saying,

"You both make a lovely couple, unexpected yet lovely. It is good that Stacey has found someone who can protect her."

I looked at Severus and smiled before replying to Corenlius' comment,

"Thank you very much. He is amazing to me."

"That's wonderful. You better be Snape!" Corenlius joked and Severus forced a slight smile.

We finally reached the hospital wing and Madame Pomfrey rushed over to me. She didn't say anything. She just took me from Severus' grasp and laid me on the bed.

"Professor! What happened to you?" Ron exclaimed from the bed across me.

I forced a small smile but neither Severus or Cornelius answered Ron's question. As I finally sunk into the soft bed the effect of the wound hit me. I bite my lip to silence my aching cries desperately wanting to come out. My hand wander the bed looking for a place to hold onto for support. I felt the bed lower a bit and a cold hand take mine. I opened my eyes to see Severus beside me.